DEVELOPMENT AND IMPLEMENTATION OF
DATABASE LIBRARY SYSTEM
In Partial Fulfillment of the Requirements in
Systems Analysis and Design with Prototyping
Bartolome, John Andrew P.
Icawat, Jayson Neil A.
Lauchengco, Christian Paolo R.
Ordona, Kristian James V.
Roy B. Callope
2nd Semester, S. Y. 2011 – 2012
A. Company Background
On January 18, 1954, strongly adhering to the vision of contributing to the progress and development of the nation through producing competent engineers and architects trained in the most modern and advanced methods and techniques, the Polytechnic Colleges of the Philippines was established. Founded by a group of respected educators that included Messrs. Manuel I. Felizardo, Vicente Y. Orosa, Ciriaco Y. Coronel and Emilio M. Javier, the School's first President was co-founder Gonzalo T. Vales, who had earned his Civil Engineering degree from the University of Southern California. He was until then, the Dean of the Mapua Institute of Technology. With only one building and an enrolment of about three hundred students in 1954, PCP initially offered a limited number of disciplines namely: Bachelor of Science Degrees in Civil, Mechanical, Electrical and Chemical Engineering and a separate course in Surveying. Two years later, the High School Department was established with Mr. Miguel Pacquing as its first principal. The College of Arts and Sciences and the College of Business Administration were opened in school year 1960 - 61. Expansion and Growth In 1969, Polytechnic Colleges of the Philippines changed its corporate name to Central Colleges of the Philippines (CCP) with Dr. Hermenegildo R. Reyes as the Chairman of the Board of Trustees. A prominent educator and a highly succesful civil engineer, Dr. H.R. Reyes had held the significant positions of Dean of the FEU Institute of Technology and a member of the UP Board of Regents. He had been the President of the Philippine Chamber of Commerce, and of the UP Alumni Association for 7 terms, a feat not yet broken. His administration was supported and assisted by President Salvador San Juan, and Mrs. Rebecca S. Vales, Registrar and Assistant to the Chairman who paved the way for the unprecedented growth it was to experience later. Some of the major developments on campus during the incumbency of Dr. H.R. Reyes were the launching of additional courses in Secretarial Administration and Agri-Business Management in 1977 and the offering of the Degree in Doctor of Optometry in 1981. It was also during his tenure that the Antonino Hall, the Engineering Building and the Don Paulino Reyes Hall were constructed due to the continuous increase in the student population. An Extension Campus was also put up at this time to house the High School department and the College of Secretarial Administration. Dr. H.R. Reyes led the School for thirteen years up to his demise in 1982 leaving a solid foundation for future progress. Dr. H.R. Reyes was succeeded by Atty. Crispino P. Reyes as College President. A trial lawyer, he graduated from the Ateneo de Manila University College of Law and earned a Master of Laws degree from the University of Michigan. Although not a UP Law alumnus, he was a Professorial Lecturer at the UP College of Law for 27 years and is, at present, the Chairman of the Board Emeritus of the Ateneo de Manila Law Alumni Association. Atty. Reyes brought to the institution the dynamism and expertise needed for the greater challenges of the 80's to the present. His administration expanded the school's vision, updated the curricular program and further improved its facilities. Courses in Electronics and Communications Engineering, IT, Computer Science and Computer Engineering were added in 1986 to serve the growing needs of industry in these fields. In 1994, a modern Computer Science Building comparable in design with the best in the country was...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document