A Brief History of St. Anthony’s College
Before 1958, not one of the Catholic educational institutions already in existence in Antique offers both Basic Education and Higher Education. The dream to offer both was realized in 1958 after the Mill Hill Missionaries purchased Antique Academy and renamed it St. Anthony’s College. In June 1959, the school’s site was transferred to a five-hectare lot in Bagumbayan under the management of the Mill Hill Missionaries. On August 4, 1959 St. Anthony’s College was registered with the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), bearing SEC No. 15705. In 1976, the College was handed over by the Mill Hill Missionaries to the Prelature of San Jose de Antique which in 1983 became the Diocese of San Jose de Antique. From the time the College was bought, management was under the helm of a Mill Hill Father as the College President. However, four years after the declaration of Marshall Law, a decree was passed barring foreign nationals from holding key positions or public office in the country; hence in 1976, Fr. Joaquin A. Dioso Jr., a Filipino and an Antiqueño Diocesan priest, became the sixth College President. After him, other diocesan priests serve as College Presidents: Rev. Fr. Fortunato M. Abiera (7th), Rev. Fr. Jose Romeo O. Lazo (8th), now Bishop of the diocese of San Jose de Antique, Rev. Fr. Nicolas A. Rendon (9th), Rev. Fr. Cornelio V. Ysulat, Jr. (10th), Rev. Fr. Jose S. Bantolo (11th), now Bishop of the Diocese of Masbate, each putting an indelible mark in the life of St. Anthony’s College.
St. Anthony’s College (SAC) started operating at the old Bantayan site in School Year 1958-1959, continuing the complete secondary education offered by then Antique Academy per Government Recognition No. 20, s. 1949. That same school year, SAC accepted enrollment for tertiary education with the opening of the Two-Year General Liberal Arts course leading to the title of Associates in Arts (AA), which was issued Government Recognition of June 23, 1959. Another One-Year Collegiate Secretarial Course with a Certificate in Secretarial Science (CSS) was offered and was issued Government Recognition on May 4, 1960. On the same date, the Two-Year Collegiate Commercial Course leading to the title Associate in Commercial Science (ACS) was also issued Government Recognition. The Two-Year Secretarial Course with a Diploma in Secretarial Science (DSS) was issued Government Recognition on June 9, 1965. Meanwhile, Grades I to VI was issued Government Recognition effective August 3, 1964 and the year later, Grades V to VI was issued Government Recognition effective July 19, 1965. While applications for permits to operate and conduct Four-Year Degree Courses were filed with the concern government agency at earlier dates, it was on June 9,1965 that the Four-Year Collegiate Normal Course leading to the degree of Bachelor of Science in Elementary Education(BSEED) and the Four-Year Education Course leading to the degree of Bachelor of Science in Education(BSE) were issued Government Recognition. Another Government Recognition was issued on June 21, 1968 for the Liberal Arts Course leading to the Degree to the Bachelor of Arts (AB), while that of the Four-Year Collegiate Commercial Course leading to the degree of Bachelor of Science in Commerce (BSC) was issued on October 22,1975. On September 10, 1990, the Five-Year Civil Engineering Course leading to the Degree of Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering (BSCE) was issued Government Recognition effective June 11, 1990, and the Four-Year Course in Bachelor of Science in Accountancy (BSA) Government Recognition on June 4, 1993. At the pre-elementary level, Kindergarten was issued recognition on June 1, 1973 and which is a carry-over from San Jose Academy (SJA) as a result of the merger with SJA, continues to bring in enrollees. The desire to serve the little children to prepare them for the primary grades prompted the administration to...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document