FACULTY OF BUSINESS & LAW
To what extent has Ryanair’s strategic growth been internally or externally driven?
Referring to the Ryanair case, critically discuss the extent to which low cost competitive strategies are sustainable.
Firm’s strategy should take external opportunities and threats and internal strengths and weaknesses into account. This is done by SWOT Analysis. The SWOT-Analysis is an effective way of identifying internal strengths and weaknesses of any organization and of examining opportunities and threats of the external environment. The analysis’ objective is to take advantage of the opportunities the environment offers, and to avoid or minimize environmental threats.
1. What are the organization’s strengths?
2. What advantages does the organization have compared to others? 3. Which procedures are better examined by the organization (compared toothers)? 4. What do other people perceive as the organization’s strengths? 5. What are the organization’s weaknesses?
6. What can be improved within the organization?
7. Which activities are carried out in a poor quality/way? 8. Which mistakes can be avoided in the future?
9. What are external opportunities?
10. What are opportunities that can be useful for future organizational development? 11. What are current market trends and how may these develop into opportunities? 12. What are external threats?
13. What obstacles are faced by the organization?
14. Are changing technologies threatening the organization’s position? 15. Are there any bad debt or cash flow problems?
16. What is the development of the organization’s competitors?
Ryanair is operating in the low cost airline segment of the market. Its main focus is given on pursuing the low cost strategy, which supports its mission ‘to make flying possible for everyone’. The company...