Directions: Using the reference materials (including but not limited to the Internet, almanacs, atlases, encyclopedias, and books), research the answers to the following questions. The Internet is a useful source but you should make use of other resources should it not be available!
1. On November 1, 1993, the parliament of the Russian Republic of the USSR granted Russian President ______________________ broad power to begin radical economic reforms.
2. In 1991, the population of Russia was estimated at ________________________.
3. In the ninth century, Scandinavian chieftains established the first Russian state, centering it on ___________________ and Kiev.
4. When did Lenin die? _____________ How did he die? _____________________
5. The ‘900-day siege’ of Leningrad lasted from June 1941 until January ___________.
6. When did Stalin die? ________ How old was he? _______
7. In the late 1960s and early 1970s, massive Soviet military aid to __________________ helped assure communist victories throughout Southeast Asia.
8. Russia comprises over ________% of the total area of the former USSR and has ____________________ square miles, making it the largest country in the world.
9. What is the current life expectancy for Russian males?
10. The Russian monetary unit is the _________________.
11. The breed of cat known as the Russian blue is distinguished for its vivid ___________ colored eyes and the _____________ quality of its blue-gray coat.
12. Who is the author of War and Peace?
13. Who is the author of The Brothers Karamazov?
14. Which Russian author was awarded the Nobel Prize for literature for Doctor Zhivago but declined the prize?
15. Leningrad’s St. Isaac’s Cathedral on Decembrists’ Square was designed by French architect ______________________ and built between 1819 and 1858.
16. The _______________, or Russian wolfhound, was first imported into the United States in 1889.
17. In 1854, British poet Alfred Lord Tennyson made Balaklava famous in his poem _______________________________.
18. On January 22, 1904, George Melitonovich Balanchivadze was born in St. Petersburg, Russia. He gained a reputation for the foremost representative of neoclassicism ballet. His professional name was __________________________.
19. Russian physiologist Ivan Petrovich Pavlov is best known for what experiment? ____________________________________________________________
20. In 1910, Russian ballerina Anna Pavlova made her American debut with Russian dancer ______________________ at the Metropolitan Opera House in New York City.
21. Which Russian chemist compiled the ‘periodic table of elements?’ ______________________________________
22. On what date was the Russian Sputnik I put into orbit? ______________________
23. On what date was the Russian Sputnik II put into orbit? ______________________
24. September 17, 1957, was the 100th anniversary of the birth of Russian rocket pioneer Konstantin E. _________________________.
25. On January 2, 1959, unmanned interplanetary flight was proved feasible when the Soviet Union’s Mechta entered into orbit around the sun.
26. The Volga River is ________ miles, or ________ kilometers long.
27. What was the name of the imperial family that ruled Russia from 1613 until 1917? _______________________________
28. The age of romanticism in Russian literature is from the late _________ until the early 1840s.
29. Who wrote The Twelve (1918)? __________________
30. During World War II, the Soviet Union and Finland fought each other in two wars. The ‘Winter War’ was from 1939 to __________________. The ‘Continuation War’ was from 1941 until ______________. Who lost both wars?
31. When did the Russo-Japanese War begin? ____________
32. When did the Russo-Japanese War end? ___________