Russian traditions (some great holidays in Russia)
* The day of the resurrection of Christ
* Came to Russia from Byzantium together with Russia’s Christening in the end of the 10th Century.
* The birth of Jesus Christ , the saviour of the world
* Russian doesn’t have Christmas trees, but they do have the New Year’s trees.
* Old Russian tradition
* For remembrance of the dead
* Russian beliefs that if you want to return to a place of your departure youy should sit on your luggage for few moments. * All important things should be started on Friday
* If a fork or spoon falls on the ground expect for a female guest . if a knife falls, expect a male guest. * If a black cat crosses your path, it’s bad luck.
God Sees the Truth, but Waits
By leo Tolstoy
Leo Tolstoy (1828- 1910)
* A Russian novelist and writer on ethics and religion
* He wrote two great masterpiece “ War and Peace” (1865-1869) * Tolstoy believed that the truth bringing happiness to a man cannot be preached; it can be discovered only by the individual within himself. * On Nov. 7, 1910 at the little railway junction of Astapovo, province of Ryazan, he died of pneumonia. Setting :
Vladimir: hometown of Aksehov
Nizhni: the place where Aksenov had travel to a fair
Siberia: the place where Aksenov live for 26 years as a convict (Siberian servitude)
Aksenov: young merchant who live in Vladimir, his real name was “Ivan Dmitrievinch”. Vanya: the wife of Aksenov
Makar: the man who caused Aksenov sufferings.
Please join StudyMode to read the full document