College Prep .7
A. “I always prefer to believe the best of everybody, it saves so much trouble.” B. This is a famous quote by Rudyard Kipling.
C. Rudyard Kipling was a literary breakout of his time.
II. Main topic #1
A. Rudyard Kipling had an interesting childhood.
1. He was born in India.
2. He had a family.
B. He was born in India.
1. His birth year was December 30, 1865.
2. His birth city is in Bombay, Maharashtra, India.
C. He had a family.
1. He was the son of John Lockwood Kipling and Alice MacDonald. 2. He was mainly raised by Indian nurses called, “ayahs”.
III. Main Topic #2
A. Rudyard Kipling didn’t have extensive education growing up. 1. In 1878, he was sent to boarding school.
2. At 17, he went straight to work.
B. In 1878, he went straight to boarding school.
1. His father had sent him there.
2. He went to boarding school for four years.
C. At 17, he went straight to work.
1. His first job was at the Civil and Military Gazette. 2. Here he wrote about life in British-ruled India.
IV. Main topic #3
A. As an adult, Kipling was a hardworking man.
1. He married his wife, Caroline.
2. He had children.
B. He married his wife, Caroline.
1. They married in Vermont.
2. Settled in Vermont until they moved back to Europe. C. He had children.
1. A daughter died of pneumonia.
2. His son died in a war.
V. Main topic #4
A. Rudyard Kipling is very famous for his short stories.
1. His most famous work of art is The Jungle Books.
2. Rudyard won the Nobel Peace Prize.
B. His most famous work of art is The Jungle Books.
1. He wrote this when he lived in Vermont and was raising his family. 2. In 1994, Disney turned The Jungle Book into an animated movie. C. Rudyard won the Nobel Peace Prize.
1. He was awarded this on December 10, 1907.
2. First awarded the Literature Peace Prize.
VI. Main topic #5
A. Rudyard Kipling received much criticism.
1. Some was good.
2. Some was bad.
B. Some was good.
1. His works were made into a movie.
2. He won the Literature Nobel Peace Prize.
C. Some was bad.
1. “The White Man’s Burden” made people angry.
2. He was for imperialism while others were not.
A. Rudyard Kipling proved to the world that was much more than some small time author. B. “Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind.” C. This quote strongly shows the kind of man that Rudyard Kipling was.
“I always prefer to believe the best of everybody, it saves so much trouble.” (Rudyard 3, 1) This is a famous quote by Rudyard Kipling that I believe embodies his character and shows the kind of person that he really was. A man full of: worldly knowledge, goals, wishes, hopes, and the perseverance to make them happen. In my opinion Rudyard was, and still is to some, the greatest short story author of his time.
Growing up, Rudyard had quite the interesting childhood. He was the son of John Lockwood Kipling, a renowned artist and scholar, and Alice MacDonald. (Did, 2) “Born in India of English parents, Kipling was brought up speaking both Hindustani and English; the impressions of his early years in India remained indelible.” (Kipling 2, 1) “Born in Bombay, British India, on December 30th 1865,” Kipling had a unique initial upbringing. (Did, 3) “There he was brought up in the care of “ayahs,” or native nurses, who taught him Hindustani and the native lore that always haunted his imagination.” (Kipling 1, preface)
While growing up, Rudyard didn’t receive an extravagant education like one would begin to think with all the success that he’s earned in the literature...