SHORT ANSWER STUDY QUESTIONS - I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings Note to the teacher: The narrator is referred to as "Marguerite" in the questions that deal with her memoirs, since that is how she refers to herself throughout the book. In instances where the author is sharing her beliefs and philosophy, she is referred to as Maya Angelou.
1. In what style is the book written?
2. What happened to Marguerite at Church?
3. What was Marguerite's dream of what she would one day look like? 4. With whom did Marguerite and Bailey live at the beginning of the book? Why? 5. How does the author say she felt in later years about the stereotyped picture of gay song-singing cotton-pickers, and why?
6. What happened that caused Uncle Willie to "lay low" one night? 7. Describe Marguerite's relationship with Bailey.
8. Describe the living conditions for the whites and Blacks in Stamps. 9. Describe the experience Momma had with the "powhitetrash" children when Marguerite was ten years old.
10. Describe the second incident with Sister Monroe, and its effect on Marguerite and Bailey.
1. Describe the incident in which Momma was referred to as "Mrs." and its effect on the Black community.
2. What, according to the author, was the one thing about the whites that was most enviable? 3. What was Marguerite's concept of God?
4. What reaction did the Christmas gifts from her parents cause in Marguerite? 5. What happened to Marguerite and Bailey when she was seven? 6. Describe the Baxter family.
7. How did Marguerite get the name "Maya?"
8. How did Mr. Freeman treat Marguerite?
1. What happened to Mr. Freeman?
2. What happened to Marguerite as a result of the rape and Mr. Freeman's murder? 3. What happened to Bailey and Marguerite after the doctor said she was healed? 4. Describe Mrs. Bertha Flowers' influence on Marguerite.
5. Why did Momma beat Marguerite and Bailey?
6. How did Marguerite feel about Mrs. Cullinan's...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document