Professional school counselors identify a philosophy based on school counseling theory and research/evidence-based practice that recognizes the need for all students to benefit from the school counseling program. Professional school counselors act on these philosophies to guide the development, implementation and evaluation of a culturally relevant and comprehensive school counseling programs. Professional school counselors create a mission statement supporting the school’s mission and collaborate with other individuals and organizations to promote all students’ academic, career and personal/social development.
Professional school counselors provide culturally competent services to students, parents/guardians, school staff and the community in the following areas:
• School Guidance Curriculum – This curriculum consists of structured lessons designed to help students achieve the desired competencies and to provide all students with the knowledge and skills appropriate for their developmental level. The school guidance curriculum is delivered throughout the school's overall curriculum and is systematically presented by professional school counselors in collaboration with other professional educators in K-12 classroom and group activities.
• Individual Student Planning – Professional school counselors coordinate ongoing systemic activities designed to help students establish personal goals and develop future plans.
• Responsive Services – Responsive services consist of prevention and/or intervention activities to meet students’ immediate and future needs. These needs can be necessitated by events and conditions in students’ lives and the school climate and culture, and may require any of the following:
• individual or group counseling
• consultation with parents, teachers and other educators
• referrals to other school support services or community resources
• peer helping
• intervention and advocacy at the... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2012, 09). Roles and Responsibilities of the Guidance Counselor. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 09, 2012, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Roles-And-Responsibilities-Of-The-Guidance-1098215.html
"Roles and Responsibilities of the Guidance Counselor" StudyMode.com. 09 2012. 2012. 09 2012 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Roles-And-Responsibilities-Of-The-Guidance-1098215.html>.
- MLA 7
"Roles and Responsibilities of the Guidance Counselor." StudyMode.com. StudyMode.com, 09 2012. Web. 09 2012. <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Roles-And-Responsibilities-Of-The-Guidance-1098215.html>.
"Roles and Responsibilities of the Guidance Counselor." StudyMode.com. 09, 2012. Accessed 09, 2012. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Roles-And-Responsibilities-Of-The-Guidance-1098215.html.