Community nurses focus on
• Health promotion
• Disease prevention
• Wellness (Westley & Fletcher, 2004 cited in Stanhope & Lancaster, 2004).
To achieve these goals, nurses are involved in
• Client and community education
• Care management (Westley & Fletcher, 2004 cited in Stanhope & Lancaster, 2004).
Community nurses may inform health promotion strategies according to individual differences.
Health promotion strategies:
• Maintaining an active lifestyle (physically and mentally)
• Belonging to a social network
• Feeling independent, useful and valued
• Having good nutrition
• Believing in “God”
• Having a sense of humour
• Exercising healthy coping strategies
(Ebersole & Hess, 2004; Ronch & Goldfield, 2003; Kending & Brooke, 2004)
There are three levels of prevention related to older adults.
1. Primary prevention
2. Secondary prevention (Screening)
3. Tertiary prevention (Maintenance and rehabilitation)
(Westley & Fletcher, 2004 cited in Stanhope & Lancaster, 2004; Williams & Rhead, 2003 cited in Watkins; Edwards & Gastrell, 2004)
Rehabilitation is a combination of physical, occupational, psychological, and speech therapy to help debilitated persons maintain or recover their physical capacities.
Rehabilitation is typically needed for older adults after a hip fracture, stroke, or prolonged illness that results in serious deconditioning (Westley & Fletcher, 2004 cited in Stanhope & Lancaster, 2004).
Wellness is not merely the absence of disease or illness.Wellness includes the physical, emotional, mental, and spiritual components of a person.There are five dimensions of wellness.
2. Nutritional awareness
3. Physical fitness
4. Stress management
5. Environmental sensitivity (Westley & Fletcher, 2004 cited in... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2008, 09). Role Opportunities for Nurses in Community Care in Elderly. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 09, 2008, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Role-Opportunities-Nurses-Community-Care-Elderly-164816.html
"Role Opportunities for Nurses in Community Care in Elderly" StudyMode.com. 09 2008. 09 2008 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Role-Opportunities-Nurses-Community-Care-Elderly-164816.html>.
"Role Opportunities for Nurses in Community Care in Elderly." StudyMode.com. 09, 2008. Accessed 09, 2008. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Role-Opportunities-Nurses-Community-Care-Elderly-164816.html.