Before beginning to understand the causes contributing to road accidents, it is essential to know that road accidents are as much the devise of non motorists as motorists. Pedestrians are as much responsible for road safety as the people behind the driving wheel.
Lets quickly get into the culprits, diverse and varied as they are, that cause road mishaps:
1. Most of the cases that we read on paper or see on the television are due to road rage, between speeding buses, motor-bikes, cars etc. In an irresistible urge to prove oneself as the ruler of the road, often the rush in adrenalin can’t be suppressed. This ends up in fatal accidents, serious injuries and death in most cases.
2. Another important reason is unmanned median breakpoints or intermediate crossings falling between two busy junctions. It is quite frequently observed that less prominent crossings/divides are left unattended and traffic rules are broken openly on a daily basis. Motorists drive in the wrong direction, cut across a heavy influx of traffic to jump lanes for personal convenience.
3. CELL PHONES - HANDS FREE!! This is one prime cause of many road mishaps where the driver’s attention is divided between the person on the other side of the phone and the vehicles on the road. Compromised alertness and attention leads to accidents and casualties in many cases.
4. STRAY DOGS and pets straying into the middle of the road and in a bid to save them motorists end up steering way to far into the adjacent lane or colliding with vehicles beside it.
5. Faulty Lanes, narrow lanes and improper placement of speed breakers. This leads to high volumes of traffic flowing through narrow roads, speeding vehicles at turns and bends and vehicles screeching within millimetres of each other.
6. Road Infrastructure: Due to poor surfacing, roads plagued with potholes, faulty speed.. [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2011, 03). Road Accident. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 03, 2011, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Road-Accident-624293.html
"Road Accident" StudyMode.com. 03 2011. 03 2011 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Road-Accident-624293.html>.
"Road Accident." StudyMode.com. 03, 2011. Accessed 03, 2011. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Road-Accident-624293.html.