RFID is a 40 year olds technology, when Mario Cardullo invented a passive radio transponder with memory, that have been famously used in few years ago that the one of the reason is companies need effective technology and eliminate waste in inventory and supply chain management and more efficiency in their EDI (Electronic Data Interchange) system.
• Type of RFID
- Active RFID tag : It has internal power source for internal circuits and broadcasts the reply ‘s signal to reader. Because of own power source, active tags also can be read 100 feet or more. Today technology, many active tags can be read more than 300 feet and battery life is up to 10 years. Moreover, active tag can integrated specialized sensors, such as temperature sensor that uses to record temperature during the transportation and send information back when contacts the reader.
- Passive RFID tag : It has no internal power. Passive tag broadcasts signal by “backscattering” that its antenna are designed both to collect power from signal from reader and broadcast the outbound backscatter signal that shorten broadcast range up to 20 feet. However, Passive tag is the lowest price of RFID tag.
- Semi-passive RFID tag : it is quite similar to Active tag that has internal power source, but it only uses for internal circuits and use power from RF energy from the reader to broadcast the reply’s signal to reader. Semi-passive RFID tag is combination of advantages
- More range of signal than Passive tag
- Longer battery life than Active tag
- Can power internal circuits even there is no outside power source
Type of RFID can also specific by data storage: Read-Write tag can be read and written several times, Read-Only tag can’t be written, WORM tag is Write Once and Read Many tag.
Basically, RFID is one of automatic identification method, such as barcode, magnetic strips, that based on radio frequency... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2009, 01). Rfid. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 01, 2009, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Rfid-189196.html
"Rfid" StudyMode.com. 01 2009. 01 2009 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Rfid-189196.html>.
"Rfid." StudyMode.com. 01, 2009. Accessed 01, 2009. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Rfid-189196.html.