Assignment Due: Week 7
Student instructions: Follow the step-by-step instructions for this exercise found in your text and record your answers in the spaces below. Submit this completed document by the assignment due date found in the Syllabus.
Please make sure that your answers are typed in RED.
Activity 2: Measuring Normal Respiratory Volumes
1. Minute respiratory volume: 7,500 ml
2. Judging from the trace you generated, inspiration took place over how many seconds? 2 seconds
3. Expiration took place over how many seconds? 2 seconds
4. Does the duration of inspiration or expiration vary during ERV or FVC? Yes
Activity 3: Effect of Restricted Air Flow on Respiratory Volumes
1. How does this set of data compare to the data you recorded for Activity 2? The MRV is 3075 and the breathing is not as strong.
2. Is the respiratory system functioning better or worse than it did in the previous activity? It is worse. Explain why. The breathing is more shallow and incomplete. The lungs are not able to inhale or exhale as much as in Activity 2
3. What is the effect of reducing the radius of the air flow tube on respiratory volumes? The air flow was decreasing, which decreased the respiratory volume.
4. What does the air flow tube simulate in the human body? The trachea
5. What could be some possible causes of reduction in air flow to the lungs? An allergic reaction could cause the trachea to swell which would restrict air flow or an obstruction could block some or the entire trachea causing the air flow to decrease as well.
Factors Affecting Respiration
Activity 4: Effect of Surfactant on Respiratory Volumes
1. When surfactant is added, what happens to the tidal volume? It increases the amount of air being inhaled
2. As a result of the tidal volume change, what happens to the flow into each lung and total air flow?... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2010, 08). Respiratory System Mechanics Worksheet. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 08, 2010, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Respiratory-System-Mechanics-Worksheet-367610.html
"Respiratory System Mechanics Worksheet" StudyMode.com. 08 2010. 2010. 08 2010 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Respiratory-System-Mechanics-Worksheet-367610.html>.
- MLA 7
"Respiratory System Mechanics Worksheet." StudyMode.com. StudyMode.com, 08 2010. Web. 08 2010. <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Respiratory-System-Mechanics-Worksheet-367610.html>.
"Respiratory System Mechanics Worksheet." StudyMode.com. 08, 2010. Accessed 08, 2010. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Respiratory-System-Mechanics-Worksheet-367610.html.