* Surfactant, role in ventilation DECREASES SURFACE TENSION,
allowing the alveoli to open easily with each breath
* Definition of ventilation The movement of air into the lungs & distributed to the
alveoli for maintenance of oxygenation & removal of C02
* Gas transport (o2) 1. VENTILATION of lungs
2. DIFFUSION of 02 from the alveoli into the capillary blood
3. PERFUSION of systemic capillaries with oxygenated blood
4.DIFFUSION of 02 from the systemic capillaries into the cells
* Alveolar function primary gas-exchange units
Definitions discussed in class and which disease process they go with (for example..)
* PND with pulmonary edema
* Paroxysmal nocturnal dyspnea (PND): individuals with heart failure or lung disease wake up at night gasping for air & must sit up or stand to relieve the dyspnea
* Pulmonary edema?
* Kussmaul’s vs. cheyne-stokese (what they are & when they happen)
* Kussmauls respiration:
* Hyperpnea; characterized by a slightly increased ventilator rate, very large tidal volume & no expiratory pause
* Induced by strenuous exercise or metabolic acidosis
* Characterized by alternating periods of deep and shallow breathing, apnea lasting 15-60 seconds followed by ventilations, decreasing to apnea (neuro impairment)
* Result from any condition that slows the blood flow to the brainstem, which in turn slows impulses sending information to the respiratory centers of the brainstem
* Hypoxia and Hypoxemia (difference between)
* Hypoxia: Decrease in tissue cell oxygenation
* MAY BE CAUSED BY ALTERATIONS OF OTHER SYSTEMS
* Low cardiac output, cyanide poisoning
* Hypoxemia: Reduced 02 of arterial blood (reduced Pa02)
* CAUSED BY RESPIRATORY ALTERATIONS ONLY
* Table 33-1 list common causes which include high altitude,... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2013, 02). Respiratory Sg. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 02, 2013, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Respiratory-Sg-1466858.html
"Respiratory Sg" StudyMode.com. 02 2013. 2013. 02 2013 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Respiratory-Sg-1466858.html>.
- MLA 7
"Respiratory Sg." StudyMode.com. StudyMode.com, 02 2013. Web. 02 2013. <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Respiratory-Sg-1466858.html>.
"Respiratory Sg." StudyMode.com. 02, 2013. Accessed 02, 2013. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Respiratory-Sg-1466858.html.