A problem is (1) any significant, perplexing and challenging situation, real or artificial, the solution of which requires reflective thinking; (2) a perplexing situation after it has been translated into a question or series of questions that help determine the direction of subsequent inquiry.
ELEMENTS OF A RESEARCH PROBLEM
The term research problem implies that an investigation, inquiry or study is to be conducted, or that the problem is ready for investigation, inquiry or study. There are certain elements that a problem must possess before it becomes a research problem ready for investigation.
1. AIM or PURPOSE OF THE PROBLEM FOR INVESTIGATION. This answers the question “Why?” Why is there an investigation, inquiry or study?
2. THE SUBJECT MATTER OR TOPIC TO BE INVESTIGATED. This answers the question ”What?” What is to be investigated or to be studied?
3. THE PLACE OR LOCALE WHERE THE RESEARCH IS TO BE CONDUCTED. This answers the question “Where?” Where is the study to be conducted?
4. THE PERIOD OR TIME OF THE STUDY DURING WHICH THE DATA ARE TO BE GATHERED. This answers the question “When?” When is the the study to be carried out?
5. POPULATION OR UNIVERSE FROM WHOM THE DATA ARE TO BE COLLECTED. This answers the question “Who?” or “From whom?” Who are the respondents? From whom are the data to be gathered?
In formulating the title of a research inquiry, the aim is usually omitted and sometimes the population is not included.
Characteristics of a Good Research Problem:
T-Time Bomb/Time Conscious
The topic should be of good interest to you.
1. Useful for the concerned people in a particular field
2. Progress Novelty
3. Invites more complex designs / more variables
5. Does not carry ethical or moral impediments
GUIDELINES IN THE SELECTION OF A RESEARCH PROBLEM... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2011, 01). Research Problem. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 01, 2011, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Research-Problem-549629.html
"Research Problem" StudyMode.com. 01 2011. 01 2011 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Research-Problem-549629.html>.
"Research Problem." StudyMode.com. 01, 2011. Accessed 01, 2011. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Research-Problem-549629.html.