The Manila Hotel is a 570-room, five star hotel in Manila, Philippines, located in the heart of the Manila Bay area. The Manila Hotel is the oldest premiere hotel in the Philippines, built in 1909 to rival Malacañang Palace, where the Philippine president now lives, and opened in 1912. It was built on 3.5 hectares (376,736.9 sq ft) of land along Roxas Boulevard. It was the residence of General Douglas MacArthur from 1935 to 1941. On January 17, 2008, at Number One Rizal Park, the Manila Hotel Tent City's blessing and grand opening was held at 5:00 p.m. Its conference halls seat 7,000 guests, and it will accommodate another 2,500 guests, for wedding receptions, anniversaries, conventions, and exhibitions.
The hotel contains the offices of several foreign news organizations, including The New York Times. It has hosted numerous historical persons and celebrities, including authors Ernest Hemingway and James A. Michener, U.S. President John F. Kennedy, The Beatles, actors Michael Jackson, Douglas Fairbanks, Jr., and John Wayne, publisher Henry Luce, entertainer Sammy Davis, Jr., Prime Minister Sir Anthony Eden, and many various world leaders. I A. History
The Manila Hotel in the Philippines is a premier hotel in the Philippine capital where the president of the country resides. It was famously the home of U.S. General Douglas MacArthur prior to World War II, and has housed celebrities and leaders from around the world. Opened in the early 1900s, it is the top luxury hotel in the Philippines. Ferdinand Marcos
Ferdinand Marcos, president of the Philippines from 1965 to 1986, hosted his deciding political campaign at the Manila Hotel shortly before being elected. Expansion
The hotel underwent extensive expansion in 1976 when it upped its room total to 570, added color television and a library, and brought in luxurious furnishings for first lady Imelda Marcos.
In its almost 100 year history, the Manila Hotel has hosted John Wayne, Michael Jackson, John F. Kennedy, Ernest Hemingway and The Beatles. When the United States took over the Philippine Islands from the Spanish in 1898 after the Spanish-American War, President William McKinley began Americanizing the former Spanish colony. In 1900 he appointed Judge William Howard Taft to head the Philippine Commission to evaluate the needs of the new territory. Taft, who later became the Philippines' first civilian Governor-General, decided that Manila, the capital, should be a planned town. He hired as his architect and city planner Daniel Hudson Burnham, who had built Union Station and the post office in Washington. In Manila, Mr. Burnham had in mind a long wide, tree-lined boulevard along the bay, beginning at a park area dominated by a magnificent hotel. To design the hotel Taft hired William E. Parsons, a New York architect, who envisioned an impressive, but comfortable hotel, along the lines of a California mission, but grander. The original design was an H-shaped plan that focused on well-ventilated rooms on two wings, providing grand vistas of the harbor, the Luneta, and Intramuros. The top floor was, in fact, a large viewing deck that was used for various functions, including watching the American navy steam into the harbor. As residence of Gen. MacArthur
When the Commonwealth of the Philippines achieved semi-independent status in 1935, President Manuel L. Quezon asked General MacArthur to supervise the creation of a Philippine Army. As a general, MacArthur elected not to retire and remained on the active list as a major general, and with President Roosevelt's approval, MacArthur accepted the assignment. It was decided to house MacArthur in a suite at the Manila Hotel, then owned by the Philippine government. The hotel was on Manila Bay across the park from the Army and Navy Club, MacArthur's favorite haunt, and also conveniently near the United States embassy. Government accountants decided that the best way to handle the...