- BBDO originated in 1891, about 121 years ago, when George Batten found the Batten Company. - Followed by The Barton & Durstine agency, which was founded by Bruce Fairchild Barton and William H.Johns, was opened in January 1919. - Alex Osbom then joined the company, when then the company was named Barton, Durstine and Osbom. - In 1928, the Batten Company (which was managed by William H. Johns at that time), merged with Barton, Durstine and Osbom forming BBDO.
- 1891 George Batten, 37 opens his one-room advertising agency, the Batten Co. at 38 Park Row, New York, with no clients and one employee. - 1917 Armstrong Cork Company awards its account to Batten. It is now BBDO's oldest client. - 1918 George Batten dies at 64, and William H. Johns becomes president of the Batten Co. - 1924 BDO ranks as the fourth-largest U.S. agency.
- 1939 Roy Durstine resigns after three years as president, and opens his own agency. BBDO is reorganized under the leadership of Alex Osborn. - 1939 Lever Bros. becomes a BBDO client.
- 1963 BBDO introduces the slogan "Come alive! You're in the Pepsi Generation." It is the first time a product is identified not by its own attributes but by its consumers' lifestyles and attitudes - 1973 BBDO creates the campaign (and jingle) "Have it your way" for Burger King. - 1982 BBDO is named Agency of the Year by Adweek.
- 1984 On January 27, Michael Jackson's hair is accidentally set on fire during filming of a Pepsi commercial. The mishap made front page news around the world. (Phil Dusenberry's 2005 memoir is titled "Then We Set His Hair on Fire.") The commercial debuted a month later on the Grammy Awards, where Jackson, wearing a hair piece, collected a record eight awards. - 1994 BBDO is selected Agency of the Year by both Adweek and Advertising Age. - 2007 BBDO Worldwide is awarded the Network of the Year award at the Cannes Lions...