April 18, 2012
Research Article Critique 1
1. Brodaty, H., Ames, D., Snowdon, J., Woodward, M., Kirwan, J., Clarnette, R., & ... Greenspan, D. (2005). Risperidone for psychosis of Alzheimer's disease and mixed dementia: results of a double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry, 20(12), 1153-1157.
2. The purpose of this study is to evaluate the efficacy and safety of low dose risperidone in treating psychosis of Alzheimer’s disease (AD) and mixed dementia (MD) in a subset of nursing-home residents who had dementia and aggression and who were participating in a randomized placebo-controlled trail of risperidone for aggression.
3. The problem is clearly stated about treating patients with Alzheimer’s disease and mixed dementia with risperidone to decrease aggression.
4. The research problem is relevant to current clinical nursing practice because psychotic symptoms develop in about half of patients with AD during the course of their dementia and have been associated with increase disability, caregiver distress, and need for institutionalization.
5. In regard to the Literature review:
a. The author H. Brodaty et al. followed the format used in research articles. The article begins with an introduction about Alzheimer’s disease and mixed dementia and provides information about previous studies focusing on the heterogeneous groups of behavioral and psychological symptoms in general. The introduction section also included the current analysis, involving patients from another placebo-controlled study. The entire article was presented in sections that included the percentage of patients treated with risperidone, psychosis subscale scores from baseline to endpoint in patients with psychosis of AD and MD treated with risperidone or placebo. Also adverse events present in at least 10 patients diagnosed with psychosis of AD and MD treated with risperidone or placebo.... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2012, 04). Research Article Critique on Alzheimer's Disease. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 04, 2012, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Research-Article-Critique-On-Alzheimer-s-Disease-973473.html
"Research Article Critique on Alzheimer's Disease" StudyMode.com. 04 2012. 04 2012 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Research-Article-Critique-On-Alzheimer-s-Disease-973473.html>.
"Research Article Critique on Alzheimer's Disease." StudyMode.com. 04, 2012. Accessed 04, 2012. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Research-Article-Critique-On-Alzheimer-s-Disease-973473.html.