LIVING THINGS AND NON-LIVING THINGS
LIVING THINGS-it is a system capable of eating, excreting, growing , reproducing and responding to external stimuli. While this is a good definition, it encompasses things that are not alive, for instance a car.
LIFE-is that property possesed by living things. Life is usually easier to recognize than to define, a living things possesses certain properties that help define what life is.
CHARACTERISTICS OF LIVING AND NON-LIVING THINGS 1. COMPLEX DEFINITION- Living things is composed of one or more cells.
2 KINDS OF CELL
UNICELLULAR- It is one celled organisms.
MULTI-CELLULAR- organisms composed of many cell.
2.METABOLISM- the sum of all different chemical activities carried out by living things.
2 SETS OF METABOLIC REACTIONS
1. CATABOLISM- all reactions that break own substances.
2. ANABOLISM-all reactions that build up substances
3.RESPONSIVENESS-all living things are able to respond to stimuli in the external environment.
STIMULI-it is the change that can cause reactions.
4. GROWTH - during growth a living organism transforms material that is unlike itself into materials that are like it.
For example: a persons digests a meal of meat and vegetables and transforms a chemical material into more of himself or herself.
5. REPRODUCTION - living things has the ability to produce copies of itself by the process.
2 KINDS OF REPRODUCTION
1. ASEXUAL REPRODUCTIONS- involves only one parent and the resulting cells are generally to the parent cell.
2. SEXUAL REPRODUCTIONS –Two parents cell contribute to the formulation of a new individual.
6. EVOLUTION – living organisms have the ability to adapt to their environment.
7. ECOLOGY- the study of relationships between organisms and with their environment.
8. GENETIC DEFFINITION- the blue print of life is stored magnetic code written...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document