Wireless operations permits services, such as long range communications, that are impossible or impractical to implement with the use of wires. The term is commonly used in the telecommunications industry to refer to telecommunications systems (e.g. radio transmitters and receivers, remote controls, computer networks, network terminals, etc.) which use some form of energy (e.g. Radio Frequency (RF),acoustic energy, etc.) to transfer information without the use of wires. Information is transferred in this manner over both short and long distances.
Examples of Wireless
Common examples of wireless equipment include:
• Telemetry control and traffic control systems
• Infrared and ultrasonic remote control devices
• Modulated laser light systems for point to point communications
• Professional LMR (Land Mobile Radio) and SMR (Specialized Mobile Radio) typically used by business, industrial and Public Safety entities.
• The Amateur Radio Service (Ham radio).
• Cellular Telephones and pagers: provide connectivity for portable and mobile applications, both personal and business.
• Global Positioning System (GPS): allows drivers of cars and trucks, captains of boats and ships, and pilots of aircraft to ascertain their location anywhere on earth.
• Cordless computer peripherals: the cordless mouse is a common example; keyboards and printers can also be linked to a computer via wireless using technology such as Wireless USB or Bluetooth
Wireless networking (i.e. the various types of unlicensed 2.4 GHz WI-Fi devices) is used to meet many needs. Perhaps the most common use is to connect laptop users who travel from location to location. Another common use is for mobile networks that connect via satellite.
The term "wireless" should not be confused with the term "cordless", which is generally used to refer to powered electrical or electronic devices that are able to operate from a... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2011, 12). Report Wifi and Wireless Network. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 12, 2011, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Report-Wifi-And-Wireless-Network-865971.html
"Report Wifi and Wireless Network" StudyMode.com. 12 2011. 12 2011 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Report-Wifi-And-Wireless-Network-865971.html>.
"Report Wifi and Wireless Network." StudyMode.com. 12, 2011. Accessed 12, 2011. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Report-Wifi-And-Wireless-Network-865971.html.