1. What is a medium and what is remediation?
2. Remediation: an evolution
3. Mediation, intermediation and transmediation.
What is a medium and what is remediation?
"We call the representation of one medium in another remediation, and we will argue that remediation is a defining characteristic of the new digital media. What might seem at first to be an esoteric practice is so widespread that we can identify a spectrum of different ways in which digital media remediate their predecessors, a spectrum depending on the degree of perceived competition or rivalry between the new media and the old. (p45 Bolter/Grusin)" ).
In Bolter and Grusin’s book Remediation: understanding new media, 5 arguments are put forward on the topic of remediation that explain how remediation works:
• Earlier media such as painting, television, photography and film are the foundations on which the cultural importance of new media is attained. This importance is attained through competing with, paying homage to and reshaping this older type of media.
• This process is not a modern trend. It can be seen in the evolution of painting to photography, stage production to film and magazine to web site.
• Works of media nearly always draw from another type of media to create a new piece, for example; a movie based on a novel. Many pieces of media would not exist if it wasn’t for those that pre existed.
• There are no pieces of new media in the real sense of the word. Even though we are seeing exciting new understandings and changes, these would not exist if it wasn’t for media already in circulation.
• There are three simple senses to the term ‘Remediation’; All media build together and are always influencing one another. Mediation and reality cannot be detached from one another. Cultural predisposition will always exist in new media.... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2008, 05). Remediation - Media. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 05, 2008, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Remediation-Media-148022.html
"Remediation - Media" StudyMode.com. 05 2008. 05 2008 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Remediation-Media-148022.html>.
"Remediation - Media." StudyMode.com. 05, 2008. Accessed 05, 2008. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Remediation-Media-148022.html.