- Conscience is at the core or heart of every person
- People experience the call to goodness in a number of ways - human heart questions begin in the conscience
Conscience: a person’s most secret core and sanctuary. The intellect judging the rightness or wrongness of our own individual acts. It deals with concrete actions.
People who listen to their conscience’s ‘can hear God speaking’ !
EXAMINATION OF CONSCIENCE
The purpose of an examination of conscience is for an individual to discover whether or not they have behaved as God taught. Where they have, they need to give thanks. Where they have not, they need to ask for God’s forgiveness and for the help to change for the better.
How often?: everyday
It helps them to build upon their good
behaviour and see if and where they may
still need to change
It helps them to see that they have not
disobeyed God and therefore do not
need to feel guilty.
It helps them to prepare for death, which
can come unexpectedly, and for the judgement of their lives by Christ after death. They can see where they have done wrong deliberately, and ask for God’s forgiveness.
- Conscience calls people to do good and to avoid evil
- Natural law is the law of God inscribed in human nature
- Divine law includes the ten commandment in light of the teachings of Jesus - God wants to forgive and heal
Conscience calls people to do good and to avoid evil
3 Elements of Moral Decision:
- the action itself: god’s laws are the criteria for deciding whether an action is right or wrong - the intention: the intention must be good and right
- the circumstances: if the consequences of the action, (even if it is right) are wrong, then it is morally wrong.
When all 3 conditions are all good together then it is morally good !
Natural law is the law of God inscribed in human nature
Definition: the law of God placed in human nature to...