RedTacton is a human area network technology that uses the surface of the human body as a safe high-speed network transmission path. We may have imagined the future as a place crawling with antennas and emitters, due to the huge growth of wireless communications and it gives an idea of using our body as a data transmission. Thus NTT labs, the Japanese telecom group had developed a revolutionary technology called “Red Tacton”. The technology is called TACTON because this influences communication that starts by touching leading to various actions. “Red Tacton” gives a whole new meaning to the term “networking”. It is a new Human Area Networking technology which uses the surface of the human body, as a safe and high speed data transmission path. Red Tacton is a new technology that is completely different from wireless and Bluetooth or Infrared, as it does not rely on electromagnetic or a light wave to transmit data, also users can narrowly limit signal recipients rather than broadcasting to all devices within given range . It makes use of weak electric fields on the surface of the body. Here, the human body acts as a transmission medium supporting IEEE 802.3 half-duplex communication at 10Mbit/s. RED is used to convey the meaning of warmth in communication. Instead of relying on electromagnetic waves or light waves to carry data, a RedTacton transmitter couples with extremely weak electric fields on the surface of the body. The weak electric fields pass through the body to a RedTacton receiver, where the weak electric fields affect the optical properties of an electro-optic crystal. Physically separating ends the contact and thus closes the communication. The RedTacton chips will be embedded in machines and contain a transmitter and receiver built to send and accept any form of data stored in digital format.
OVERVIEW OF REDTACTON:
• RedTacton is a new innovative Human Area Networking technology that turns the surface of the human body as a safe, high speed network transmission path.
• RedTacton takes a different technical approach. Instead of relying on electromagnetic waves or light waves to carry data, RedTacton uses weak electric fields on the surface of the body as a transmission medium. • Using RedTacton, communication starts when terminals carried by the user or embedded in devices are linked in various combinations according to the user's natural, physical movements.
• Communication is possible using any body surfaces, such as the hands, fingers, arms, feet, face, legs or toes. RedTacton works through shoes and clothing as well.
• Technically, it is completely distinct from wireless and infrared. A transmission path is formed at the moment a part of the human body comes in contact with a RedTacton transceiver, physically separating ends the contact and thus ends communication.
• A RedTacton transmitter couples with extremely weak electric fields on the surface of the body. The weak electric fields pass through the body to a RedTacton receiver, where the weak electric fields affect the optical properties of an electro-optic crystal. The extent to which the optical properties are changed is detected by laser light which is then converted to an electrical signal by a detector circuit.
WHAT IS REDTACTON?
Human society is entering an era of omnipresent computing, when networks are seamlessly interconnected and information is always accessible at our fingertips. The practical implementation of omnipresent services requires three levels of connectivity: • Wide Area Networks (WAN), typically via the Internet, to remotely connect all types of severs and terminals;
• Local Area Networks (LAN), typically via Ethernet or WiFi connectivity among all the information and communication appliances in offices and homes; and
• Human Area Networks (HAN) for connectivity to personal information, media and...