Recruitment & Selection

Topics: Interview, Human resource management, Semi-structured interview Pages: 11 (3450 words) Published: March 22, 2013
Recruitment and Selection

Part 1 Produce a report, advising HiTech on how it should move forward as far as recruitment is concerned i.e. what advice would you give?

HiTech International is one of the fastest –growing companies in the world. It currently employs over 30’000 people in 60 countries and has annual turnover in excess of $19billion. Located in West Dublin, HiTech European headquarters employs 2’500 people. 90% are employees of the company and remaining 10% are employed on a subcontracted basis. HiTech specialise in provision of computer hardware and bespoke software solutions for corporate clients to assist them in maximising the use of the internet. HiTech also provide a complete after-sales service which goes beyond regular software maintenance. The company is recognised as global market leaders in several of its principal line of business. Due to the competitive market that HiTech operates in innovation and continually evolving technology developments through research and development department is central to the company’s future success. HiTech offers employees excellent terms and conditions of employment with top-salaries, generous bonus schemes, discounts, pensions, health and life insurance. The environment in which they work is very attractive with excellent facilities such as staff cafeterias, fitness facilities and valet services. Staff retention is very good; turnover levels are currently at 5% of which half are accounted for by dismissals and non-renewal of fixed-term contracts. HiTech are experiencing some difficultly with finding sufficient number of employees with the required skills to meet its expansion needs. Due to the fast-moving nature of the industry graduates are not utilised as by the time they are trained with a set of skills technology has moved on making their training redundant. Some graduates do succeed but most struggle, and are dependent on too much from the start. HiTech’s main source of new recruits is staff employed by competitors or working in closely related fields. They also have adopted a ‘no poaching’ policy with companies that HiTech has a customer relationship with or partner companies. Currently HiTech have two principle methods of recruitment in addition to a small- scale graduate training programme; advertising in national newspapers and head-hunters. HiTech are not satisfied with either method; adverts bring in too many applications that take up too much time to work through them. Head-hunters have found some suitable candidates but put at a great cost plus there is a risk that candidates would be lured away again by the same agent. And with the small pool of labour agencies are unable to identify the required individuals that are not already know to HiTech.

Improve on employer brand
Although HiTech has global market leadership in several lines of its business and is recognised for its products as potential a brand leader but has it adopted an employer brand. Edward (2005) “employer branding is clearly aimed at attracting and retaining staff” (Edwards, 2005 Employer Branding) HiTech aim should be to develop and maintain a strong brand image as an employer that will reinforce their efforts to attract and subsequently retain the most effective performers. According to CIPD Survey “nearly three quarters of organisations have made efforts to improve their employee brand over the last year, most commonly through employee surveys and developing online career sites” (CIPD Annual Survey 2011/resourcing and talent planning). HiTech need to project a favourable impression of experience working there, similar to the reputation or brand that Google and Face book have. Evidence strongly suggested that employers can gain an edge in labour market through development of a good brand. Charles Schwab from US investment bank states “having a strong brand for an employee is a competitive advantage and strategic advantage...... it really...
Continue Reading

Please join StudyMode to read the full document

You May Also Find These Documents Helpful

  • Recruitment and Selection Essay
  • Recruitment and Selection Essay
  • Recruitment and Selection Strategies Paper
  • Competence Based Recruitment and Selection Research Paper
  • Summary of Journal
  • Recruitment and Selection Strategies Re Research Paper
  • Recruitment and Selection paper 1
  • Recruitment and Selection email Essay

Become a StudyMode Member

Sign Up - It's Free