· Avoid Info Overload – Keep your PowerPoint’s simple. Not to graphic, and remove irrelevant words.
· Practice Delivery – Practice, practice, practice your delivery until it is almost memorized and you flawlessly know your information.
· Forget Comedy – A few off the cuff jokes, but nothing to major to take away from your real purpose.
· Pick Powerful Props – Something that is signature and will have a memorable demonstration.
· Minimize You – Focus more on your audience and how you can solve their problem.
· Speak the Language – Explain terms and acronyms. Use language that corresponds to your audience.
· Simple Slides – Don’t make PowerPoint your main source of information. Slides can be used in your knockout presentation. Be creative.
After reading 8 Secrets to a Knockout Presentation, my reading speed was 193 words per minute. The approach I used to reading the selection was to set up the page on my computer and have my timer next to me. Once I saw that this would be a timed reading, I changed the location of where I normally do my class work. The den is usually full of life and gaming, so I used my laptop to sit quietly in the living room. I went into this reading expecting to be informed.
I minimized distractions by asking my children to go to other areas of the house. I explained that I had to focus and needed the quiet time to read and comprehend. (Usually, I do my work in the morning when I am alone.) I became emotionally involved in this reading, because not only is it beneficial for me, but also my children. I felt as though, if everyone had privy to this information, it would make a world of difference in the classroom as well as the conference room.
The reading purpose that I employed was “reading for practical application and reading for understanding.” As I began to read, I found the information quiet informative and... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2010, 10). Reading and Comprehension. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 10, 2010, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Reading-And-Comprehension-423819.html
"Reading and Comprehension" StudyMode.com. 10 2010. 10 2010 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Reading-And-Comprehension-423819.html>.
"Reading and Comprehension." StudyMode.com. 10, 2010. Accessed 10, 2010. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Reading-And-Comprehension-423819.html.