Sharon Barfield Perkins Bass
6536 S. Sangamon 1140 W. 66th St.
Chicago IL 60621 Chicago IL 60621
This can be adapted for any grade. Discover factors affecting the rate of solution.
The materials are for each group of four.
1. Test tube with cork 9. Sugar cubes
2. Two clear plastic cups 10. Aspirin
3. Pestle 11. Salt tablets
4. Mortar 12. Mint candy
5. Clock with second hand or stopwatches 13. Water
6. Alcohol burner 14. Alka Seltzer
7. Goggles 15. Junior Mints
8. Mints 16. Tongs
1. Introduce and discuss solvent, soluble, solute, insoluble, and rate.
2. Demonstrate what the students will be expected to do using the vocabulary introduced.
3. Discuss safety and have groups get materials, including instruction sheet.
4. Fill containers with water as marked. Test tubes-room temperature; Cups-one room temperature, one cold.
5. One solute will be dropped into each solvent. Make a hypothesis about what will happen before adding the solutes.
6. Place one test tube over the flame, holding it with the tongs. Place the cork in the second tube and shake.
7. Use the mortar to crush the solute and put it in the cup containing room temperature water. Drop a solute into the cold solvent and let it sit.
8. Record the length of time needed to dissolve the solvents. If a solvent hasn't completely dissolved in 5 minutes write 5+ on your chart and discard all solvents.
9. Repeat steps 4 through 7 for the remaining solutes, except for the Junior Mints.
10. Pass out a new set of instructions and... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2012, 06). Rate of Solubility. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 06, 2012, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Rate-Of-Solubility-1023014.html
"Rate of Solubility" StudyMode.com. 06 2012. 2012. 06 2012 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Rate-Of-Solubility-1023014.html>.
- MLA 7
"Rate of Solubility." StudyMode.com. StudyMode.com, 06 2012. Web. 06 2012. <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Rate-Of-Solubility-1023014.html>.
"Rate of Solubility." StudyMode.com. 06, 2012. Accessed 06, 2012. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Rate-Of-Solubility-1023014.html.