PERFORMANCE OF INDIAN RAILWAYS
A Venkateshwar, IRAS, Director/C-TARA/SCR
* Indian Railways have exhibited signs of a turnaround in the last three years and the improvement in the performance has been significant , especially in FY05-06. An attempt has therefore been made to analyze
(a) the improvement in FY05-06 over FY04-05 and
(b) the projections made for FY06-07 over FY05-06.
* The analysis is based on :
a) 04-05 - actual performance as per accounts.
b) 05-06 - likely performance as per revised estimates .
c) 06-07 - projected performance as per budget estimates .
* The analysis is contained in the three annexures enclosed.
Annexure – A : Financials of revenue operations and capital investments.
Annexure - B : Pattern of Goods traffic.
Annexure - C : Pattern of Passenger traffic.
( Source : Railway Budget 2006-07 Documents – Explanatory Memorandum)
ANALYSIS OF Financials
I REVENUE OPERATIONS
* In 05-06, share of passenger earnings to total receipts dropped from 29% to 27%, while share of freight earnings went up by 2% to 65%.
* Recorded a growth of 15% ( 7375 Crs.) in 05-06 over 04-05 , due to a 7% increase in passenger earnings and 11% increase in freight earnings.
* Are expected to increase by 10% (5412 crs.) in 06-07., due to a 11 % increase in passenger earnings and 10% increase in freight earnings.
In 06-07, it is expected that ,
* Misc. receipts will grow by 8% against 3% in 05-06, due to increase in subsidy.
* Passenger earnings will grow by 11% against 7% in 05-06.
* Goods earnings will grow only by 10% against 19% in 05-06 during which period there was approximately an 8% increase in the permissible loading per wagon. .
* Sundry earnings will fall by 27% against a growth of 56% in 05-06, due to the continued transfer of catering activities to IRCTC..
* Traffic Suspense will increase by 50%, against... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2012, 11). Railways. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 11, 2012, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Railways-1249404.html
"Railways" StudyMode.com. 11 2012. 2012. 11 2012 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Railways-1249404.html>.
- MLA 7
"Railways." StudyMode.com. StudyMode.com, 11 2012. Web. 11 2012. <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Railways-1249404.html>.
"Railways." StudyMode.com. 11, 2012. Accessed 11, 2012. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Railways-1249404.html.