DUE: Tuesday June 10, 12:00 Noon
Using the chart (attached) write an essay or lecture which illustrates the relationship between race and racism. Your essay should discuss all the terms on the chart and any definitions should be drawn from course readings, web sites or lectures.
In this essay you should:
• discuss Audrey Smedley’s definition of race as an ideology that characterizes social relationships in North America;
• describe how the racialization of Africans through slavery gave rise to stereotypes of the type seen in the Jim Crow era;
• explain why a complete understanding of racism must integrate individual and institutional actions (i.e. using an example such as the lynchings depicted in “Without Sanctuary”);
• talk about either Memmi’s or Omi and Winnat’s definition of racism, describing how that definition adequately accounts for all the elements in the chart. [You may, if you like, write your own definition of racism. Do not, however, use a dictionary or standard definition from another source.]
Rules of Engagement:
1. The entire contents of your portfolio (all your graded work) is due to me by noon on Tuesday June 10. You may turn in your work anytime BEFORE Tuesday June 10; no work will be accepted after that date and time. I reserve the right to penalize late or absent work at my discretion. This may include anything from failure on the final exam to failure of the course. Your portfolio must be an 8x11 letter size manila file folder like this:
It should not contain hardware of any kind. Please put your name on the tab. [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2008, 06). Race and Racism. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 06, 2008, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Race-Racism-153047.html
"Race and Racism" StudyMode.com. 06 2008. 06 2008 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Race-Racism-153047.html>.
"Race and Racism." StudyMode.com. 06, 2008. Accessed 06, 2008. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Race-Racism-153047.html.