* Nelson Mandela was the first South African President who was elected in a completely democratic election.
* Nelson Mandela was an activist against apartheid, and he was the leader of the armed wing of the African National Congress.
* Nelson Mandela spent twenty-seven years in prison, many of those years were spent on Robben Island.
* Nelson Mandela is one of the world's most revered statesmen, who led the struggle to replace the apartheid regime of South Africa with a multi-racial democracy.
* Nelson Mandela became famous for his long fight against bad government and racial prejudice. He became a hero to people all over the world. As South Africa's President, he was respected for his courage and wisdom in bringing people together to live in peace.
* Nelson Mandela was only nine when his father died after the death he got sent to a regent
* Mandela's childhood in the Transkei had sheltered him from racial discrimination. In Johannesburg, however, in the 1930s, he began to look as himself as a black man in a white society. He was first introduced to the rights movement when he met Walter Sisulu, a member of the ANC (African National Congress) who involved Mandela with the committee in 1944. With Sisulu and other activists, Mandela formed the Youth League, a branch of the ANC with more radical approaches to fighting for rights than the ANC had ever used before. His, and all Africans lives were soon to be changed when the African Nationalists Party came to power in 1948 and Apartheid officially began
* 1963 - Mandela and 17 other members of the ANC were arrested and put on trial for high treason in the Rivonia Trial when the underground ANC was raided by the government. Mandela was temporarily released from his last sentence to attend this trial. [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2013, 03). Qwerty. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 03, 2013, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Qwerty-1512809.html
"Qwerty" StudyMode.com. 03 2013. 2013. 03 2013 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Qwerty-1512809.html>.
- MLA 7
"Qwerty." StudyMode.com. StudyMode.com, 03 2013. Web. 03 2013. <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Qwerty-1512809.html>.
"Qwerty." StudyMode.com. 03, 2013. Accessed 03, 2013. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Qwerty-1512809.html.