C) the size of a typical campus
D) the size of a small city
E) the size of a western state (e.g.,Colorado)
2) Which of the following statements does not use the term light-year in an appropriate way?
A) It's about 4 light-years from here to Alpha Centauri.
B) It will take me light-years to complete this homework assignment. C) A light-year is about 10 trillion kilometers.
D) It will take the Voyager spacecraft about 20,000 years to travel just 1 light-year. E) The Milky Way Galaxy is about 100,000 light-years in diameter.
3) Suppose we look at a photograph of many galaxies. Assuming that all galaxies formed at the same time after the Big Bang, which galaxy appears to us as the youngest?
A) The galaxy that is furthest from us.
B) The galaxy that is closest to us.
C) The galaxy that appears largest to us.
D) The galaxy that appears bluest to us.
4) When are eclipse seasons?
A) in the spring and fall
B) in the summer and winter
C) when the nodes of the Moon's orbit are nearly aligned with the Sun D) when Earth, the Sun, and the Moon are exactly aligned for an eclipse E) during an eclipse
5) Which of the following statements about constellations is false? A) There are only 88 official constellations.
B) Some constellations can be seen from both the Northern and Southern hemispheres. C) Some constellations can be seen in both the winter and summer. D) It is possible to see all the constellations from Earth's equator. E) Most constellations will be unrecognizable hundreds of years from now
6) The ancient Greeks get a lot of attention for their contributions to science because ________.
A) they were the first people known to try to explain nature with models based on reason and mathematics, without resort to the...