• PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION CONSISTS OF A VARIETY OF SERVICES INCLUDING: BUSES, TROLLEYS AND LIGHT RAIL, COMMUTER TRAINS, STREETCARS, CABLE CARS, VAN POOL SERVICES, PARATRANSIT SERVICES FOR SENIOR CITIZENS AND PEOPLE WITH DISABILITIES, FERRIES AND WATER TAXIES, AND MONORAILS AND TRAMWAYS.
• There are more than 6,500 providers of public and community transportation offering Americans the opportunity and the choice to travel by means other than a car.
• Approximately 1,500 agencies provide bus service, 5,960 provide paratransit services, 80 provide rail service, and 150 provide other modes of public transportation.
PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION INCREASING RIDERSHIP:
• THE AMERICAN PUBLIC SHOWED ITS SUPPORT FOR PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION AS 76% OF ALL BALLOT INITIATIVES FOR PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION PASSES THROUGHOUT THE COUNTRY IN NOVEMBER 2008, EVEN AS THE ECONOMY SLOWED.
• In 2007, Americans took 10.3 billion trips on public transportation – the highest ridership level in 50 years.
• 34 million times each weekday, people board public transportation. Since 1995 public transportation ridership is up 32 percent.
PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION PROVIDES ECONOMIC OPPORTUNITY:
• EVERY $1 INVESTED IN PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION PROJECTS GENERATES APPROXIMATELY $6 IN LOCAL ECONOMIC ACTIVITY.
• Every $10 million in capital investment in public transportation yields $30 million in increased business sales.
• Every $10 million in operating investment in public transportation yields $32 million in increased business sales.
• Real estate -- residential, commercial or business -- that is served by public transportation is valued more highly by the public than similar properties not as well served by transit.
• Public transportation enhances local rural economic growth in many ways, increasing the local customer base for a range of services -- shopping malls, restaurants, medical facilities and other... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2011, 09). Public Transport. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 09, 2011, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Public-Transport-769681.html
"Public Transport" StudyMode.com. 09 2011. 09 2011 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Public-Transport-769681.html>.
"Public Transport." StudyMode.com. 09, 2011. Accessed 09, 2011. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Public-Transport-769681.html.