PSYC 2060 Chapter 3
Reading Assignment / Learning Objectives
1. Match the following types of experiences with the crisis in which they would have the MOST impact.
B. Trust vs. mistrust
C. Autonomy vs. shame and doubt
D. Initiative vs. guilt
E. Industry vs. inferiority
F. Identity vs. role confusion
* ___d_When a student finally finishes a difficult and involved paragraph in the book, the teacher criticizes him for taking so much time. * _b___ As Roberta tries to feed herself with a spoon, her father takes the spoon away and tells her how messy she is. * __c__While playing a computer game, Eric finds his way to the treasure chest before his father does. * __e__ Juanita is concerned with environmental issues, especially recycling. Juanita’s teacher helps her find information from local companies.
2. How do teachers (perhaps unconsciously) communicate differential expectations to girls and boys throughout their school careers?
Girls are normally expected to perform well in subjects involving English and writing. Whatever a secretary needs to learn from school is what some teachers feel girl students need to gain from school. Boys are pushed more towards performing well in math and science. Most men are in jobs that require knowledge to solve difficult equations and fix things using math.
3. Reflect on your personal experiences in school. Were you a victim of or a witness to gender bias at any time in your educational career?
Normally when a teacher was a coach, they generally would favor the boy students that played the sport that the teacher coached.
4. What is the difference between sex and gender?
Sex refers to the biological and physiological characteristics that define men and women. Gender refers to the socially constructed roles, behaviours, activities, and attributes that a given society considers appropriate for men and women.
5. Describe how Mary Ainsworth...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document