Psychological and Psychophysiological Stress Disorders
Respond to the following:
1. Stress can be the root cause of psychological disorders. Name four symptoms shared by acute and posttraumatic stress disorders.
a. Re-experiencing the traumatic event
c. Reduced responsiveness
d. Increased arousal, anxiety, and guilt
2. What life events are most likely to trigger a stress disorder?
a. An event that would trigger a stress disorder are ones that is very traumatic. Such events include: combat, rape, car crash, plan crash, or an earthquake.
3. Traumatic events do not always result in a diagnosable psychological disorder. What factors determine how a person may be affected by one such event?
b. Past experiences
c. Genetic factors
d. Level of trauma
4. What are the four stages in meeting the psychological needs of disaster victims?
a. Describe details of recent trauma
c. Relieve the emotion from the time of the event
d. Express current feelings
5. What is the link between personality styles and heart disease?
a. The type a personality is more aggressive, competitive, angry, and can be more stressed out because of that. With the consistently high level of stress it is more likely to develop heart disease.
6. List and briefly describe four psychological treatments for physical disorders.
a. Relaxation training- can relax their muscles at will, can reduce anxiety, and helps prevent illness. Also helps headaches, insomnia, asthma, diabetes, and pain after surgery.
b. Meditation- the act of looking inside oneself and temporarily relieving stress
c. Biofeedback- helps with asthma, headaches, pain, high blood pressure, and stuttering. electrodes are attached to muscles and...