Section headings listed in gray font appear in both the Project Charter and the Scope Statement.
Project Title: Web Site Enhancement Project
Project Manager: Xin Tao
Project Description (see Project Charter)
• A new company web site is proposed to best support the company’s mission to provide a complete recreational experience to the guests, including elegant meals, relaxing living quarters, and extensive recreational options such as golf, tennis, spas, gyms, night clubs, and excursions to local towns and areas of interest.
• Increase market share by 50% within two years of launch by providing on-line queries and reservations of rooms, on-line booking of guest services.
• Increase revenue by 25% within three quarters post-launch by tapping into a larger customer base accessible through internet sales.
• Avoid risk that some of the hotels will have to be closed within two to three years as pressured by other larger hotel chains.
• Increase customer satisfaction by 25% among the existing customer base by becoming more technology-oriented, as measured via customer satisfaction surveys taken over the two-year period following the new web site launch.
• Allow technology team gain more experience in more sophisticated web technology, which is expected to reduce web site maintenance cost by 20%.
• Use effective project management techniques consistent with the company standards.
• Integrate the new company web site well with existed systems: the Reservation system and the Guest-Services System.
Project Scope Description
The new web site has a user friendly graphical interface, which shall allow user to do queries, reservations, browsing and booking easily.
The new web site is enhanced to interact with existed systems: a Reservation System and a Guest-Services System. It has the capabilities to read data from and save data to those systems.
The new web site shall display results according to users’ requests.
• The new web site shall be accessed by popular web browsers, including Microsoft IE, Firefox, Mozilla and Netscape.
• The new web site shall run on a Linux based server.
• The web server software, which the new web site uses, shall be Apache.
• The new web site shall be a secure Internet site.
• All major credit cards will be accepted by the new web site.
• VeriSign will be the credit card processing vendor.
Out-of-Scope features discussed but not implemented at this time:
• Users can have additional payment methods besides credit cards, for example, Paypal and Google Checkout.
• Users can get invoice in a PDF format.
• Users have the capability to cancel a transaction even after it is done.
• Users have the capability to remove particular service even after it is booked.
• Users can ask for refund if booked price is higher than the current price.
Project Deliverables (see Project Charter)
Project Acceptance Criteria
• Delivery of the web site by the end of August, 2006
• The new web site shall provide on-line queries and reservations of rooms, on-line booking of guest services
• The new web site shall operate 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
• Expenditures on the project not exceeding $900,000
• Reduce web site maintenance cost by 20%.
• Increase revenue by 25% within three quarters post-launch
• Increase customer satisfaction by 25% among the existing customer
Project Constraints (see Project Charter)
Project Assumptions (see Project Charter)
Project Roles and Responsibilities (see Project Charter)
Initial Defined Risks
• Because the management team is...