PROJECT TOPIC: MICRO WOODEN LATHE MACHINE
SUBMITTED TO: Mr.Fatehpal Singh
Rajwinder Singh Pabla
Manhar Parmjot Singh
A lathe is a machine tool which rotates the work piece on its axis to perform various operations such as cutting ,sanding, knurling, drilling or deformation with tools that are applied to the work piece to create an object which has symmetry about an axis of rotation . Lathes are used in woodturning, metalworking, metal spinning, Thermal spraying/ parts reclamation, and glass-working. The material can be held in place by either one or two centers, at least one of which can be moved horizontally to accommodate varying material lengths. Other work-holding methods include clamping the work about the axis of rotation using a chuck or collet, or to a faceplate, using clamps or dogs . Examples of objects that can be produced on a lathe include candlestick holders, gun barrels, cue sticks, table legs, bowls , baseball bats, musical instruments, crankshafts, and camshafts.
Wooden Lathes Machine are the oldest variety. All other varieties are descended from these simple lathes A wood lathe is a machine used to form a piece of wood into a desired shape, a variety of other useful, fancy and decorative wood items. A piece of wood is attached to a spinning arm and various tools are used to shape the piece of wood as it spins.
An adjustable horizontal metal rail or the tool rest is placed between the material and the operator accommodates the positioning of shaping tools, which are usually hand-held. With wood, it is common practice to press and slide sandpaper against the still-spinning object after shaping to smooth the surface made with the metal shaping tools.
There are also woodworking lathes for making bowls and plates, which have no horizontal metal rail, as the bowl or plate needs only to be held by one side from a metal face plate. Without this rail, there is very little restriction to the width of the piece being turned
Its machine tool for holding and turning wood against a cutting tool. Its principal parts are the headstock, which holds one end of the material in a rotating spur; the tailstock, which holds the other end, the cutting tool and the power feed. It performs turning operations in which unwanted material is removed from a workpiece rotated against a cutting tool, by chip removal. A workpiece is holded and rotated under power.
* In wooden lathe , the work piece is held in the chuck or between the centers and rotated about its axis at a uniform speed.
* The cutting tool is held in tool rail is fed into the workpiece for desired depth and in desired direction.
Parts Of Wooden Lathe
The main parts of a micro wooden lathe are:-
(1) Bed :- It is a base or foundation of the wooden lathe . It is made up of wood in a trough shape so that material removed from the wood can be easily collected on the bed . It hold and support the other parts of the lathe such as motor.
(2) Headstock :- The headstock is permanently fastened to the inner ways at the left hand end of the bed . It severs to support the spindle and driving arrangements. Wood lathe receives their power through the headstock , which is equipped with a motor and also in order to control the speed of the motor during operations a pedal controller is also attached to the motor. Spindle of the motor is fitted with a socket which will be used as a chuck in micro wooden lathe for holding the work piece in a proper alignment with a tailstock.
(3) Tailstock :- It is situated at the right hand end of the bed , which is provides a tailstock spindle for the purpose of supporting the right end of the work piece . In a micro wooden lathe , tailstock is fixed but only the spindle is moveable in order to support varying length of different work piece . A bolt with coned...