Introduction: Why Project Management?
Achieving Competitive Advantage
Jeffrey K. Pinto
PROJECT PROFILE – Disney’s Expedition Everest
1. WHAT IS A PROJECT?
General Project Characteristics
2. WHY ARE PROJECTS IMPORTANT?
PROJECT PROFILE – Dubai – Land of Mega-Projects
3. PROJECT LIFE CYCLES
PROJECT MANAGERS IN PRACTICE – Christy Rutkowski, Regency Construction
4. DETERMINANTS OF PROJECT SUCCESS
PROJECT MANAGEMENT RESEARCH IN BRIEF – Assessing Information Technology (IT) Project Success 5. DEVELOPING PROJECT MANAGEMENT MATURITY
6. PROJECT ELEMENTS AND TEXT ORGANIZATION
Case Study 1.1 – MegaTech, Inc.
Case Study 1.2 – The IT Department at Hamelin Hospital
PMP Certification Sample Questions
1.1 GENERAL PROJECT CHARACTERISTICS
1) Projects are ad hoc endeavors with a clear life cycle.
2) Projects are building blocks in the design and execution of organizational strategies.
3) Projects are responsible for the newest and most improved products, services, and organizational processes.
4) Projects provide a philosophy and strategy for the management of change.
5) Project management entails crossing functional and organizational boundaries.
6) The traditional management functions of planning, organizing, motivation, directing, and control apply to project management.
7) The principal outcomes of a project are the satisfaction of customer requirements within the constraints of technical, cost, and schedule objectives.
8) Projects are terminated upon successful completion of performance objectives
1.2 DIFFERENCES BETWEEN PROCESS AND PROJECT MANAGEMENT
Repeat process or productNew process or product
Several objectivesOne objective