Deliverables | Step 1 - Update MS Project with Resource Information | Step 2: Allocate Resources | Step 3: Answer the following essay question | |
Congratulations! You have just completed the project charter, scope statement and WBS. Now that you know what needs to be done, as the Project Manager, you are now ready to begin planning your project. This week, you will have two deliverables to complete for the project. * Using MS Project, create a project schedule and align resources – 35 points * Analyze project schedule & resource allocation – 2 essay questions – 40 points Please provide these two deliverables (MS Project file, and MS Word document) to the Week 3 Drop Box. Please refer to the course syllabus for your due date. To help guide you through these deliverables, please follow the three step process on the following pages. | |
Step 1 - Update MS Project with Resource Information | |
While meeting with your project team, you have worked with them to determine the appropriate sequencing of the activities, and the duration for each activity. The data that you compiled is shown below. Using MS Project, follow the Project Schedule Instructions provided below to build a project schedule for the Huntsville Project by entering the information from the below task list with duration and predecessors. HUNTSVILLE PLANT TASK LIST|
Task Number| Task Name| Duration (Weeks)| Predecessor(s)| 1| Huntsville Plant - Project| (Project Level Task)|
2| PLANNING PHASE| (Summary)| |
3| Select Architect| 2| none|
4| Recruit & Train Managers| 6| none|
5| Select Real Estate Consultant| 2| none|
6| Create Pre-Production Plan| 2| none|
7| Create Production Plan| 4| 6|
8| Establish Building Concept| 2| 6, 3|
9| Create Building Design| 6| 8|
10| Procure Site| 3| 5, 8|
11| Select General Contractor| 2| 8|
12| Obtain Permits & Approvals| 3| 5, 10, 11|
13| PREPARATION PHASE| (Summary)| |
14| Prepare Site| 4| 9, 10, 12|
15| Construct Building | 40| 9, 12, 14|
16| Install Landscaping| 3| 15|
17| PLANT READINESS PHASE| (Summary)| |
18| Recruit Plant Personnel| 8| 4, 7|
19| Procure Equipment | 24| 7|
20| Procure Raw Material | 8| 7|
21| Install Equipment| 4| 15, 18, 19|
22| Implement Product Distribution Plan| 2| 7|
23| Procure Truck Fleet| 8| 15, 22|
24| Perform Pre-Production Run| 4| 18, 20, 21|
25| PRODUCTION PHASE| (Summary)| |
26| Perform Production Start-Up| 1| 24|
27| Begin Distribution| 1| 23, 26|
Project Schedule Instructions
The following steps should be follwed when setting up the Huntsville Plant Project with Microsoft Project 2010:
1. Set the basic project information
* Open MS Project 2010.
* Click on the File button (top left), select "save as" and enter the file name as (your name) cp1. For example: SmithJanecp1.mpp * Click on the "Project" tab and select "Project Information". In the Project Information dialogue box, set the start date to 4/18/2011. * Leave other dates as is. Click on "OK".
2. Set basic Gantt chart format (use also for tracking Gantt chart view) * Right click on the mouse in the gray area of the Gantt chart on the Right side of the screen where the dates in month and days are for the menu and select "Timescale." * In the Timescale dialogue box:
* Select the Middle Tier tab set Units to Quarters * Select the Bottom Tier tab set Units to Months
* Click on "OK".
3. Setup the default task units to weeks
* Click the File tab, and then click Options.
* In the Project Options dialog box, click Schedule.
* Under Scheduling options in this project, set the following: * New tasks created select Auto Scheduled
* Duration is enetered in select Weeks...