WHAT IS SOCIAL WORK?
* Social Work is the professional activity of helping individuals, groups, families, organizations, and communities or society in general. Social workers help people solve problems, cope with them, and help individuals obtain needed resources in their environments.
* Must graduate a school in social work with either a bachelors or master’s degree * Requires knowledge of human development and behavior
* Must be knowledgeable of social, economic, and cultural institutions with interaction of all these factors
BRIEF HISTORY OF SOCIAL WORK
* The first social welfare agencies began in the early 1800’s in an attempt to meet the needs of people living in urban areas. * Those agencies were private and initiated by the clergy and religious groups * Focus was on meeting physical needs as food and shelter and attempt to “cure” emotional and personal difficulties
CHARITY ORGANIZATION SOCIETY (COS)
* Started in Buffalo, NY in 1877
* Is charity organizations and private agencies joined together to provide services to individuals & families
* Established in the late 1800’s
* Houses in impoverished neighborhoods
* Teached residents how to live moral lives
* Objective was to improve housing, health, living conditions, find jobs, and teach English
* Most noted leader in the settlement house movement
* Rented a 2 story house in an impoverished Chicago neighborhood * Provide services to help individuals better themselves
WHEN DID SOCIAL WORK BEGIN TO BE RECOGNIZED?
* The end of World War 1, social work started to be recognized as a distinct profession * The Great Depressions of the 1930’s
* The Social Security Act in 1935
All these major events brought an expansion of public social services and job opportunities for social workers.
*In 1955 THE...