(prepared by CRUZ, Leslie B. and DELA PEÑA, Jennica May A.)
Supply chain – the sequence of organizations that are involved in producing and delivering a product or
- Sometimes referred to as “value chains”
- the lifeblood of any business organization
-is a system of organizations, people, technology, activities, information and resources involved in moving a product or service from supplier to customer.
• Supply chain management
- is the oversight of materials, information, and finances as they move in a process from supplier to manufacturer to wholesaler to retailer to consumer.
- the goal of supply chain management: Deliver the right product to the right place at the right time for the right price ,while minimizing system-wide costs and satisfying service requirements.
• Supply chain managers
-involved in planning and procurement of materials and services, transformation activities, and logistics.
TYPICAL SUPPLY CHAINS
* Three key parts of a supply chain:
*Supply focuses on the raw materials supplied to manufacturing, including how, when, and from what location.
*Manufacturing focuses on converting these raw materials into finished products.
*Distribution focuses on ensuring these products reach the consumers through an organized network of distributors, warehouses, and retailers.
a. Manufacturing supply chain
*a person who buys and sells goods or merchandise is called merchandiser. A merchandiser may be a wholesaler or a retailer. A wholesaler is one who buys in bulk from a manufacturer or another wholesaler and sells them to other wholesalers or retailers. A retailer buys merchandise from a manufacturer or wholesaler and sells them to ultimate consumers.
b. Service supply chain
* Service providers buy goods to a wholesaler or retailer. These goods will be kept and... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2011, 09). Production and Operations Management. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 09, 2011, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Production-And-Operations-Management-777413.html
"Production and Operations Management" StudyMode.com. 09 2011. 09 2011 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Production-And-Operations-Management-777413.html>.
"Production and Operations Management." StudyMode.com. 09, 2011. Accessed 09, 2011. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Production-And-Operations-Management-777413.html.