Compliance with Rx
· Problems identified as causing failure of adherence to clinical
o No named doctor being in charge of patients care.
o No named nurse being in charge of patients care.
o Being in pain most or all of the time.
o Not being told on discharge when to resume their normal activities.
· Factors in communication which improve patients’ adherence to
o Clinician understands the patient.
o Clinician’s tone of voice.
o Clinician elicits all the patient’s health concerns.
o Patient is comfortable asking questions.
o Patient perceives that sufficient time is spent with the clinician.
· Health outcomes depend on the extent to which patients adhere to
their clinical advice.
· Correctable factors are all matters of communication: letting
patients know why their Rx is being given & what benefits they stand
to gain, what pros & cons there may be, what options exist, & doing so
in a ways which builds trust & collaboration.
Adjustment to loss & bereavement
· Phases of bereavement – shock, distress, adjustment, moving on.
Legal & ethical issues relating to consent to Rx
· Doctors seeking consent for a particular procedure must be competent
in the knowledge of how the procedure is performed & its problems.
· For agreement to Rx to be legally accepted it must meet 3
o Consent must be informed to an adequate standard.
o Patients must be competent to consent to Rx.
o Patients must not be coerced into accepting Rx against their wishes.
· It is unlawful battery to intentionally touch a competent patient
without their consent.
· Rx can be given legally to adult patients without consent if they
are temporarily or permanently incompetent to provide it & Rx is
necessary to save their life, or to prevent them from incurring
serious &... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2010, 10). Problems Faced by Patients and Relatives in Coping with Illness. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 10, 2010, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Problems-Faced-By-Patients-And-Relatives-443967.html
"Problems Faced by Patients and Relatives in Coping with Illness" StudyMode.com. 10 2010. 10 2010 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Problems-Faced-By-Patients-And-Relatives-443967.html>.
"Problems Faced by Patients and Relatives in Coping with Illness." StudyMode.com. 10, 2010. Accessed 10, 2010. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Problems-Faced-By-Patients-And-Relatives-443967.html.