You are to write a four to ten (4-10) page report that answers the following:
1. You own a local sub shop in a college town. You primarily serve two groups of people: local residents (both students and other local residents) and visitors to your town. Devise a price discrimination strategy that will increase your revenues compared to a single-pricing strategy.
2. Suppose the cable TV industry is currently unregulated. However, due to complaints from consumers that the price of cable TV is too high, the legislature is considering placing a price ceiling on cable TV below the current equilibrium price. If the government does make this price ceiling law, diagram and explain the effects with supply and demand analysis. If the cable TV company is worried about disgruntling customers, suppose that the company may introduce a different type of programming that is cheaper for the company to provide yet is equally appealing to customers. Explain what would be the effects of this action.
3. Consider a perfectly competitive market. Analyze and explain in detail using graphical tools to show what you expect to happen to the number of firms and firm profitability in the short run and long run a) if demand for the product falls and b) if demand for the product rises.
4. Discuss why some long-run average cost curves are steeper on the downward side than others. Discuss fully.
5. If you purchased a new model of a digital camera right after it is released, you will likely pay more than if you purchase it six months after release. Explain why this is an example of price discrimination on the part of the firm.
6. Explain the rationale and the implications of the new guidelines used by the Department of Justice and the Federal Trade Commission for evaluating proposed mergers.
The format of the report is to be as follows:
o Typed, double spaced, Times New Roman font (size 12), one inch margins on all sides, APA... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2011, 10). Principle of Economics. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 10, 2011, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Principle-Of-Economics-815909.html
"Principle of Economics" StudyMode.com. 10 2011. 10 2011 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Principle-Of-Economics-815909.html>.
"Principle of Economics." StudyMode.com. 10, 2011. Accessed 10, 2011. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Principle-Of-Economics-815909.html.