Word list 1
Are You Talkin' To Me?
1. Assertion - a declaration that is made emphatically (as if no supporting evidence were necessary)
His assertion of the incident has no supporting evidence that what he was saying was in fact true.
2. Clarity - free from obscurity and easy to understand
She spoke with clarity, carefully pronouncing her words so everyone would understand.
3. Cogent - having power to influence or convince
Fred has such a cogent speech about the army that I actually started to consider joining.
4. Coherent - logically or aesthetically ordered of integrated; consistent relation of parts
One can argue that the historian's speech was incoherent because he skipped around to different years, not staying in chronological order.
5. Cohesive - exhibiting or producing internal parts logically connected; consistency
My paper on the Federalist Era was consistent and thorough due to the fact that I stayed on topic and covered all the important problems and events.
6. Didactic - instructive (especially excessively)
The teacher's didactic lecture taught the class John Locke's concepts of natural human rights.
7. Discourse - verbal exchange; conversation
The discourse I had with the representative of a college addressed what classes they offer and many questions that I had about the school.
8. Eloquence - powerful and effective language
The eloquence of the priest's homily truly touched the hearts of the church members and let them know how strong the priest was on this topic.
9. Emphasize - to stress, single out as important; give extra weight to
During the Board of Education meeting, the most emphasized topic was drug use in school, which seems to be a very severe problem.
10. Fluid - smooth and unconstrained in the flow of words
She seems to know a lot about the topic because right when it was assigned, her writing was so fluid that it seems to flow out of her pen.
11. Implication - something that is... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2006, 04). Princeton Review Wordlist 1. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 04, 2006, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Princeton-Review-Wordlist-1-86171.html
"Princeton Review Wordlist 1" StudyMode.com. 04 2006. 04 2006 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Princeton-Review-Wordlist-1-86171.html>.
"Princeton Review Wordlist 1." StudyMode.com. 04, 2006. Accessed 04, 2006. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Princeton-Review-Wordlist-1-86171.html.