4 December 2011
a. Story: My family we don’t buy everyone gifts, but we draw names. We got my older sister and her husband on my side, and My wife’s older brother and his wife on My wife’s side. The hardest though are getting gifts for dads, who can buy whatever they want anyway. Obviously we want to get a great gift, and so I was thinking about what makes a great gift:
b. What is the best (or one of the best) present(s) you have ever received?
i. Why was that the best gift?
ii. Board: Gift / Reason
1. Valuable to Receiver - Is something the Receiver needs
2. Given for free / Is not selfish
3. Valuable to Giver - Requires sacrifice
2. Gifts of the Holy Ghost
a. Recap what you have learned about Paul in 30 seconds?
b. Paul travelled around did some pretty amazing things, how did he accomplish so much?
c. 1 Cor 12:1,7-10
i. 1 Now concerning spiritual gifts, brethren, I would not have you ignorant
ii. 7 But the manifestation of the aSpirit is given to every man to profit withal.
iii. 8 For to one is agiven by the bSpirit the cword of dwisdom; to another the word of eknowledge by the same Spirit;
iv. 9 To another afaith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of bhealing by the same Spirit;
v. 10 To another the working of amiracles; to another bprophecy; to another cdiscerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of dtongues:
d. Which of these Gifts Paul had?
i. Acts 3:1–8
1. (Peter and John heal a man who is lame). The gift of healing.
ii. Acts 14:8–10
1. (Paul heals a crippled man). The gift of healing.
iii. Mark 5:25–34
1. (A woman touches the hem of Jesus’ robe). Faith to be healed.
iv. Luke 2:25–26, 34–38
1. (Simeon and Anna prophesy of Jesus). The gift of prophecy. While discussing the gift of prophecy, explain that most of the events concerning the birth, mission, death, and resurrection of Jesus Christ were foretold by those who had the gift of prophecy.
v. Acts 9:1–20
1. (Paul is converted to the gospel of Jesus Christ). The gift of knowing that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.
vi. Acts 2:4–18
1. (The disciples receive the Holy Ghost on the day of Pentecost). The gift of tongues and the gift of prophecy.
e. What makes the Gift of the Holy Ghost such a great gift?
i. For helping others
ii. Something valuable to receiver
f. Article of Faith 7
i. We believe in the gift of tongues, prophecy, revelation, visions, healing, interpretation of tongues, and so forth.
ii. Who is we? Is that the saints in Paul’s day? Believe? Do you believe that we can have these same gifts Paul had today?
3. Accepting a Gift
a. Example: Wrapped gift
i. Is this the perfect gift?
1. What would I need to do to know if it is?
i. Cat cologne sample story
2. What would I need to do to know if it is?
a. Use it
b. Why is using a gift so important?
i. Story: Sister’s marker story
1. Why was this a good gift?
2. Why was she devastated that I rejected the gift?
3. What should we do when we receive a good gift?