-There were four original four streets of Georgetown and they were beach light street,pitt street and chulia street. -formerly Chulia street, was first laid out between Lebuh Pantai and Jalan Masjid Kapitan Keling during Francis Light’s time. -originally called “Malabar Street” and was changed to “Chulier Street” in Popham’s 1798 map By 1803. -the stree had extended to the present junction of Lebuh Leith and Jalan Penang(the eastern half until Love Lane) named Chulier Street and the western half named Chulier Road. -was designated for the south indian population of early Penang (the south indian were called Chulier as the Coromandel coast). -was formerly swampy and drainage problems continued to plague the area until the turn of this century. -there are also a number of housing clusters accessed only by unnamed alleys. -along lebuh chulia today one finds the greatest diversity economic activities,related to tourism and traditional occupations. -many buildings along lebuh chulia were converted hotels in early 20th century. -today, lebuh chulia has many hardware shops and trades ; metalsmiths,carpenters,rattan furniture,picture-farmers. -connects the homogenous historic shophouse streetscape of lorong love,lorong chulia,lebuh carnavon,jalan pintal tali and lebuh cintra.
-Starting from Beach Street, the buildings on Chulia Street carry odd-number addresses if they are on the left side of the street, and even-number addresses if they are on the right. -Rapid Penang Bus 11, 101, 104, 201, 202, 203, 204, 301 and 302 pass through Chulia Street.
Some hotel and guesthouses :
-banana guest house.-newasakin rumah tumpangan
-blue diamond hotel.-olive spring hotel
-Crystal guesthouse-pin seng hotel
-Day and night backpackers-stardust guesthouse
-e&A budget hotel-swiss hotel
-eastern hotel-tourist guesthouse
-hang chow hotel
-hotel hong ping
-island city hotel
Sights along chulia street...