The written report of this assessment is designed to assess students’ ability to:
1. define, describe and discriminate between strategy and planning and show an understanding of the vocabulary of the subject applied to the management of a business organisation
2. describe and discuss a typical planning process including the role of qualitative and quantitative forecasting, modelling and dealing with uncertainty, through the use of recognised planning techniques
3. demonstrate and discuss the effective use of some techniques of strategic auditing and environmental analysis as applied to a typical organisation.00
4. discuss and criticise some important issues relating to organisational design and orgnisational culture.
Group Assessment: One Written Essay (50%)
The work will normally be done in pairs.
The work will include the analysis of an existing situation, the application of analysis techniques (introduced in lectures and developed in tutorials) and the presentation of conclusions using similarly-acquired techniques. It is intended to promote and assess practical research skills.
Read the case study (Page 6 onwards) and answer the following questions:
1. Using an appropriate model, analyse the ways in which Universal has provided a superior level of service to its customers. (30 marks)
2. Using the information provided in the case scenario, strategically evaluate the performance of the company up to 2004, indicating any areas of particular concern.
3. Matthew Black is well aware that the achievement of the growth targets for the 2005 to 2007 period will depend on successful implementation of the strategy, affecting all parts of the company’s activities. Explain in detail the key issues affecting implementation and the changes necessary to achieve Universal’s ambitious growth... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2010, 09). Porter's 5 Forces Analysis of Starbucks. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 09, 2010, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Porter-s-5-Forces-Analysis-Of-Starbucks-401158.html
"Porter's 5 Forces Analysis of Starbucks" StudyMode.com. 09 2010. 09 2010 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Porter-s-5-Forces-Analysis-Of-Starbucks-401158.html>.
"Porter's 5 Forces Analysis of Starbucks." StudyMode.com. 09, 2010. Accessed 09, 2010. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Porter-s-5-Forces-Analysis-Of-Starbucks-401158.html.