M.Com., M.A., NET, Ph.D.B-72, MAHENDRA ENCLAVE, READER, SHASTRI NAGAR, GHAZIABAD FACULTY OF COMMERCE & BUS. ADMN.Ph. : 0120-2705900
MEERUT COLLEGE, MEERUT ( : 9818581063
(C.C.S. UNIVERSITY, MEERUT) Email: email@example.com
Ref. No. : ______________Date : ______________ “RESEARCH PAPER”
“POPULARITY OF CONSUMER GOODS IN RURAL MARKET A CASE STUDY OF GHAZIABAD DISTRICT”.
Present research paper entitled “POPULARITY OF CONSUMER GOODS IN RURAL MARKET A CASE STUDY OF GHAZIABAD DISTRICT” is mainly based on the hypothesis that, there is a vast potential of marketing of consumer goods in Rural areas of the country which is increasing day by day. In India where about 74% population resides in the rural areas and nearly one third of the national income is generated by the rural population, hence it become necessary to understand the psyche of the rural population, their needs, aspirations and also their behavior to be success in the marketing in rural areas.
Probably, there is no village in the country where one can not find soaps like, Lux, Rexona, Hamam or Lifebuoy or detergent cakes like Rin, Wheel, Fena, Cigarettes, small tea sachets. Similarly , the shops stock electrical goods, torch light, dry battery cells, cosmetic products, pressure cookers, sewing machines, mopeds, and other durable items where the rural consumers go for selling the agricultural produce and also make purchases of durable items mentioned above.Traditionally, many rural shops have been stocking and selling packaged products like tea, soaps and other similar items. Unfortunately, the data on rural consumption of many packaged items is not easily available.
Consumer products may be classified into two categories as below :
NON-DURABLE CONSUMER PRODUCTS :
1. Tea and coffee . Biscuits
2 Edible oils and ghee
3. Tooth paste and tooth brush 4. Cosmetics -- nail polish, lipstick, face cream, powder
5. Shampoo and hair oils. Bathing soaps . Mosquito repellent 6 Washing material -- detergent powder and cakes 7. Electric bulbs, . Torch, dry battery cells DURABLE CONSUMER PRODUCTS :
1. Radios, transistors, Clocks and wrist watches
2. Room coolers and room heaters
3. Television -- Color and B&W television
4. Table fans, Ceiling fans 5. Pressure cookers and utensils
6. Bi-cycles Mopeds and motor cycles
7. Cassette player / recorders/ VCP / VCR
8. Mixer / Grinders/ Sewing machines
9. Electric irons, heaters and Mechanical watches
10. Washing machines . Refrigerators
11. Other households equipments
OBJECTIVES OF THE STUDY :
The main objectives of the study are :
(1) To understand the environment in which the Rural market operates, (2) To find out the inherent problems associated with rural market, (3) The market strategies which can be successfully adopted to exploit properly to the potentials of the rural market.
(4) To find out the opinion of the rural consumers about the consumer goods. (5) To find out the reasons for purchasing the various brands by the rural consumers. (6) To know the psyche of the rural consumers.
RURAL MARKET ENVIRONMENT :
To successfully exploit the potential offered by rural market, there is a need to first understand the rural market, not only in term of household and population, but also their literacy level, occupational pattern, income generation, marketing arrangements for agricultural produce, the process of rural and cottage industrialization, communication facilities,...