Article I - National Territory
SECTION 1. The national territory comprises the Philippine archipelago, with all the islands and waters embraced therein, and all other territories over which the Philippines has sovereignty or jurisdiction, consisting of its terrestrial, fluvial, and aerial domains, including its territorial sea, the seabed, the subsoil, the insular shelves, and the other submarine areas. The waters around, between, and connecting the islands of the archipelago, regardless of their breadth and dimensions, form part of the internal waters of the Philippines.
Necessity of constitutional provision on National Territory
The constitution begins with a delimitation of our national territory.
1. Binding force of such provision under international law.
2. Value of provision defining our national territory.
3. Acquisition of other territories.
National Territory of the Philippines
As provided in the Article I, it comprises:
1. The Philippine archipelago with all the islands and waters embraced therein;
2. All the other territories over which the Philippines has sovereignty or jurisdiction;
3. The terrestrial, fluvial and aerial domains including the territorial sea, the seabed, the subsoil, the insular shelves, and other submarine areas thereof; and
4. The internal waters.
- Derived from Greek word pelages meaning “sea”.
- Defined as a sea or part of a sea studded with islands, often synonymous with island groups or as large group of islands in an extensive body of water such as sea.
Other territories over which the Philippines has sovereignty or jurisdiction
1. Pending Philippine claim to Sabah, etc.
2. The future claims by the Philippines to other areas.
Other areas included in the Philippine archipelago
1. The territorial sea
2. The seabed (or the... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2010, 12). Politics and Governance with Philippine Constitution. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 12, 2010, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Politics-And-Governance-With-Philippine-Constitution-521784.html
"Politics and Governance with Philippine Constitution" StudyMode.com. 12 2010. 12 2010 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Politics-And-Governance-With-Philippine-Constitution-521784.html>.
"Politics and Governance with Philippine Constitution." StudyMode.com. 12, 2010. Accessed 12, 2010. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Politics-And-Governance-With-Philippine-Constitution-521784.html.