Understand how to provide play and other activities for children in home based settings that will support equality and inclusion
Explain the importance of play to children’s learning and development and the need for an inclusive approach
From an early age, play is important to a child's development and learning. It isn't just physical. It can involve cognitive, imaginative, creative, emotional and social aspects. It is the main way most children express their impulse to explore, experiment, understand and make sense of the world. Children of all ages play and they demonstrate the first hand experiences that they have in life.
• Children make up rules as they play, and so keep control of their play.
• Children choose to play. They cannot be made to play.
• Children rehearse the future in their role-play.
• Children pretend when they play.
• Children playing will be deeply involved and difficult to distract from their deep learning. Children at play wallow in their learning.
• Children try out their most recent learning, skills and competencies when they play. They seem to celebrate what they know.
• Children at play co-ordinate their ideas, feelings and make sense of their relationships with their family, friends and culture.
• With encouragement to explore their world through play, children are likely to develop healthy and positive relationships.
Every child has a right to be included, valued or respected. By using the principle that inclusion is a right for all children, early years settings can make sure that during play, every child:
• has an equal chance to participate, learn and develop
• participates equally in group and play activities
• is given the opportunity to communicate in their preferred format
• has their individual needs known and met
• feels safe and know they belong
• is valued as a unique individual and
• feels strong... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2012, 04). Play Supporting Quality and Inclusion. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 04, 2012, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Play-Supporting-Quality-And-Inclusion-964941.html
"Play Supporting Quality and Inclusion" StudyMode.com. 04 2012. 04 2012 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Play-Supporting-Quality-And-Inclusion-964941.html>.
"Play Supporting Quality and Inclusion." StudyMode.com. 04, 2012. Accessed 04, 2012. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Play-Supporting-Quality-And-Inclusion-964941.html.