geographical boundaries. Solutions both to perpetrators’ use of the Internet and to the safety of
young people online must be sought and will necessarily involve agencies working to protect young
people at local, national and international levels. The police have suggested that an increasing
number of online sex offenders are grooming young people online, using online social networks and
internet chat rooms. Whilst a great deal is known about sex offender behaviour and there is an
increasing body of pioneering work addressing those accessing indecent child images, little is known
about online groomers and the way in which they select and engage victims.
• To this end, Action 3.1 of the Safer Internet Plus programme invited proposals for projects that aim to
enhance the knowledge of the online sexual abuse of young people, with a particular focus on online
• Following a competitive tendering exercise, the European Online Grooming Project was
commissioned. The research consortium is comprised of experts from across Europe, tasked with
meeting the following overarching research objectives:
• describe the behaviour of both offenders who groom and young people who are ‘groomed’
and explore differences (e.g. in demographics, behaviour or profiles) within each group and
how these differences may have a bearing on offence outcome,
• describe how information, communication technology (ICT) is used to facilitate the process of
• further the current low knowledge base about the way in which young people are selected
and prepared by online groomers for abuse online,
• make a significant contribution to the development of educational awareness and
preventative initiatives aimed at parents and young people.
• The Project has three separate but interlinked phases. The first is a scoping project, the subject of... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2011, 03). Pisikal. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 03, 2011, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Pisikal-611016.html
"Pisikal" StudyMode.com. 03 2011. 2011. 03 2011 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Pisikal-611016.html>.
- MLA 7
"Pisikal." StudyMode.com. StudyMode.com, 03 2011. Web. 03 2011. <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Pisikal-611016.html>.
"Pisikal." StudyMode.com. 03, 2011. Accessed 03, 2011. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Pisikal-611016.html.