The Picture of Dorian Gray Vocab
1. Précis- N- a concise summary.
2. Raveled- adv- to be tangled.
3. Candor- N- the state or quality of being frank, open, and sincere in speech or expression. 4. Sovereignty- N- rightful status, independence, or prerogative. 5. Hedonism- N- the doctrine that pleasure or happiness is the highest good. 6. Staccato- adj- shortened and detached when played or sung. 7. Caprice- N- a sudden, unpredictable change, as of one's mind or the weather. 8. Vermillion- N- a bright red to reddish-orange color.
9. Panegyric- N- a lofty oration or writing in praise of a person or thing; eulogy. 10. Wizen- V- to wither; shrivel; dry up.
11. Divan- N- a sofa or couch, usually without arms or back, often usable as a bed. 12. Hansom- N- a low-hung, two-wheeled, covered vehicle drawn by one horse, for two passengers, with the driver being mounted on an elevated seat behind and the reins running over the roof. 13. Indolence- adj- disliking work or effort; lazy; idle.
14. Collieries- N- a coal mine, including all buildings and equipment. 15. Cheroot- N- a cigar having open, untapered ends.
16. Facile- adj- moving, acting, working, proceeding, etc., with ease, sometimes with superficiality. 17. Liveried-
18. Expound- V- to explain; interpret.
19. Cosmopolitan- N- a person who is free from local, provincial, or national bias or attachment; citizen of the world 20. Brocade- N- fabric woven with an elaborate design, esp. one having a raised overall pattern. 21. Abstruse- adj- hard to understand; recondite.
22. Servility- adj- characteristic of, proper to, or customary for slaves 23. Cornucopias- N- a horn containing food, drink, etc., in endless supply, said to have been a horn of the goat Amalthaea. 24. Munificent- adj- extremely liberal in giving; very generous. 25. Consummate- V- to bring to a state of perfection; fulfill.