Levels of Structural Organization of the Human Body:
1. Atoms- tiny building blocks of matter
2. molecules-lots of atoms
3. organelles-basic components of microscopic cells
4. cells-smallest units of living things
5. tissue-groupings of similar cells with common function (epithelium, connective tissue, nervous tissue and muscle)
6. organs-discrete structure composed of at least two tissue types that performs a specific function in the body
7. organ system-organs work together to accomplish a common purpose
8. organism-living being
Functional Characteristics to maintain Life:
1. Maintaining boundaries: internal environment must be separate from the external environment
3. Responsiveness: (or excitability) the ability to sense changes in the environment and then respond to them.
4. Digestion: the breaking down of food to simple molecules that can be absorbed into the blood
5. Metabolism: all chemical reactions that occur within body cells
6. Excretion: removing waste
7. Reproduction: cellular level for body growth or repair, or reproduction of whole new person
8. Growth: increase in size
11 organ systems of the Body (pg 60)
4. Normal body temp.
5. Appropriate atmospheric pressure
Homeostasis: bodies ability to maintain relatively stable internal conditions even though the outside world changes continually. (unchanging) a dynamic state of equilibrium or balance,
Negative Feedback: the output shuts off the original effect of the stimulus or reduces its intensity. (Heater in a house) opposite direction of initial change. Keeps body chemicals or functions within a narrow range.
Positive Feedback: result... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2013, 04). Physiology Study Sheet Ch 1and 2. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 04, 2013, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Physiology-Study-Sheet-Ch-1And-2-1571982.html
"Physiology Study Sheet Ch 1and 2" StudyMode.com. 04 2013. 2013. 04 2013 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Physiology-Study-Sheet-Ch-1And-2-1571982.html>.
- MLA 7
"Physiology Study Sheet Ch 1and 2." StudyMode.com. StudyMode.com, 04 2013. Web. 04 2013. <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Physiology-Study-Sheet-Ch-1And-2-1571982.html>.
"Physiology Study Sheet Ch 1and 2." StudyMode.com. 04, 2013. Accessed 04, 2013. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Physiology-Study-Sheet-Ch-1And-2-1571982.html.